Topic: Fresh Air Cabin Filters

sarahcecelia    -- 05-09-2018 @ 9:38 AM
  Has anyone ever come up with something better than those "Horse Hair" filters that Ford used? I took mine out and blew through them with compressed air, even tho they didn't look dirty. I don't envision much air coming through them at all because they are a little on the dense side.I'd like to replace them with something that can breathe a little better.

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 5-9-18 @ 10:00 AM

ford38v8    -- 05-09-2018 @ 4:31 PM
  What have you been smoking?

Alan

sarahcecelia    -- 05-09-2018 @ 5:31 PM
  What brought that silly question up? I have never smoked in my life!

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 05-09-2018 @ 5:33 PM
  Get serious Alan! That was a serious question about the air filters. What have you been smoking!!

Regards, Steve Lee

kubes40    -- 05-09-2018 @ 6:18 PM
  Horse hair? Yep, that's what it was. It worked well so I don't understand why you'd think it necessary to find a replacement.

This material was found in the heavy duty oil bath filters. If it is very dirty, it was recommended that it be rinsed in gasoline.

Question for you: Why do you think any of these old flatheads need to breath better? This ain't a Chevy LS6 ya know...

In Alan's defense... "Fresh Air Cabin Filters" is your topic title. I've never seen such a 'contraption on any of the clubs marque vehicles.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 5-9-18 @ 6:20 PM

Kens 36    -- 05-10-2018 @ 7:47 AM
  I'm quite sure that Steve is referring to the air ventilation filters, part # 8A-18433, that were an option on 1949 and 1950 Fords. Ford did not call them "fresh air cabin filters," but that is what their function was.

Ken

sarahcecelia    -- 05-10-2018 @ 9:15 AM
  I was talking about the "Fresh Air Vents"in the cabin kubes, not the engine air filter.

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 05-10-2018 @ 9:18 AM
  Duh, the discussion topic is "Fresh air cabin filters. "Thanks alan, Your the only one that read the topic!!

Regards, Steve Lee

kubes40    -- 05-10-2018 @ 12:09 PM
  I read the topic but assumed (incorrectly) you were referring to 1940 as it seems most of your posts are in that regard.
I suppose if you had put the year you were inquiring of in your initial post, that may have helped.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

sarahcecelia    -- 05-10-2018 @ 3:59 PM
  Everybody makes mistakes kubes, but don't ever assume it makes an A?S- U -me. I have a 1940 Convertible, but I also own a 1950 Custom 2 door and a 1950 Crestliner. (I have a 1957 corvette too.) So, is there any other media that filters, but lets a little more air into the cabin on my 1950's? I can hardly feel it with them "Fully open" at 40-45 MPH, and the filters (horse hair) are pretty clear to see through. Don't "Horse around" just give me your best shot!

Regards, Steve Lee

ford38v8    -- 05-10-2018 @ 10:43 PM
  Steve, I don't have a '50, and my '49 didn't have such a filter, so I'm going to speculate here that the vent in question is not force fed by a fan, and relys on the air passing over the car to blow through the filter. You may be surprised to learn that a normal window screen on a house will reduce airflow by 40%, and is only effective at denying entry to flying insects, so I doubt you'll do better than the original horsehair, which may catch dust as well as bugs.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11902