Topic: putting 39 brakes on a 37

onedon    -- 05-07-2018 @ 6:38 PM
  I've been in the process of fixing the brakes on my 37. They never had the correct pedal ass. on it they jurried rigged one on the fire wall. Any way I have one from a 39 -91 A. What I would like is some information on is how to install it correct. I've heard redrill holes and enlarge the big hole. I am new at this but am mechanical inclined. Like which bracket hole do you use to start with and how many should line up? Thanks for any help

wmsteed    -- 05-08-2018 @ 10:55 AM
  The '39 peddle assembly is very easy to adapt to the '37 chassis, just a couple of mounting holes in the frame to adjust.
The bigger problem might be the actual brakes.. If the backing plates have two large adjusting nuts located on the bottom, they are '39-41 brakes which are not the best brakes, 42-48 are much better.
If the spindles and king pins were not replaced, they should be. The '40-41 spindles/king pins work very well.
I would suggest that you put new bushings in the peddle arms before you mount the assembly.
I have a '36 coupe that has '42-48 brakes, '41 spindles, '39 peddle assembly. When I originally converted the '36 to hydraulic brakes in 1952, I used '41 brakes. Over time I found that the '41 brakes were a lot of trouble to keep adjusted, the fixed adjustable bottom anchors are a big problem, therefore the reason why I converted to '42-48 brakes.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

rg130    -- 05-08-2018 @ 3:29 PM
  Onedon

If your 37 frame has not been altered there should be a large circular hole through the center of the frame where the original pedal assembly was attached. There should also be four 5/16 holes (one on each corner) at the top and bottom of the frame rail.

In order to use the 39 pedal assembly the large circular hole needs to be enlarged and reshaped and additional 5/16 holes drilled. I have a template which shows where the holes should be drilled and how to reshape the large hole. I'll send you one if you want. My e-mail is bandjlewallen@gmail.com

Bud

rg130    -- 05-08-2018 @ 3:53 PM
  Onedon

Forgot to mention the 39 pedal assembly clutch pedal will make contact with the frame when depressed. You will either have to slightly bend the clutch pedal arm or notch/hammer the frame to get clearance and allow the pedal to fully depress.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11894