Topic: newbie. 1952 Ford Customline 2dr

Grouchy And Ugly    -- 05-02-2018 @ 10:15 AM
  recently bought a nice 1952 Ford Customline 2dr sedan, V8 with twin Ford Carbs and Edmunds intake.
engine runs great. however have problem with RF. thought it was a tire needing balancing, so I had it balanced, no change; so I switched left to right to left and no change. about 40mph it feels just like a tire out of balance, gets worse at 45mph (and I have not went faster). almost new tires. any ideas?
VIN: B2AT106158
72B G E 20C 43
Carbs: Ford 8BA
stay safe,
thanks
G&U

carcrazy    -- 05-02-2018 @ 11:18 AM
  Your front wheel bearing may be going bad. Jack the car up on the right front side so the wheel is off ot the ground and try to move the wheel by pulling on the front and rear of the tire, also pull on the top and bottom of the tire to check for looseness. Rotate the tire and check for roughness. If any of these are present, pull the front brake drum and hub assembly off of the spindle. Remove and clean the beartings in kerosene and check them for wear. If wear or rough surfaces are found on any of the parts, replace all of the bearing parts in this hub and repack with a good wheel bearing grease and reassemble.

JohnA    -- 05-02-2018 @ 12:10 PM
  unrelated-- Grouchy, I have a real nice set of 4 full wheel disc hubcaps for your 52 Ford,interested,what state do you live in??Johna

Grouchy And Ugly    -- 05-02-2018 @ 12:14 PM
  thanks, when I get this posted I will ease out thar and do
what you suggested. altho I have had the wheel up before
when I took it for balancing I did not hear/notice any of
the characteristic (sheeesh) noises on the bearing, however
I did not check otherwise.
stay safe
thanks
G&U

Grouchy And Ugly    -- 05-02-2018 @ 12:15 PM
  I live in N.E. Florida.....so close to Georgia if I spit I would get shot at !!!!
stay safe
thanks
G&U

Grouchy And Ugly    -- 05-02-2018 @ 12:43 PM
  duh.....jacked the RF wheel up and spun it around; no noises, grinding, etc.,
and no shakiest of the tire.
however, when I placed my dumb dirtyword cotton-picking nose-sucking
finger-licking booger-bear of a Crow Bar underneath the tire, I was able
to visually see that a "vertical" bar was moving, some 1/16in or more. I do
not know what that is called; it is about 5 or 6ins length.
suppose that means I need to think about rebuilding the King Pin????
stay safe
thanks
G&U

TomO    -- 05-03-2018 @ 7:21 AM
  The vertical movement that you see could be the normal play in the spindle bolt ball bearings along with some wear in the shims.

The most likely causes of your bouncing wheel are: wheel balance, bent rim or defective tire, worn out shock absorber along with a tire that is not in dynamic balance.

If the tire and wheel does not have any movement when you grip the top and bottom your king pins bushings are not worn and probably are not causing any problem at this time.

I would try replacing the shock absorber and then examine the tires for any cupping. Your back tires may be the best to put on the front.

Tom

trjford8    -- 05-03-2018 @ 7:55 AM
  Take the car to a competent front end shop and have them check the entire front end. Tie rod ends, kingpins, idler arm bushings, bearings, etc. You could have a variety of worn parts that add up to the problem.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11869