Topic: Vehicle Judging Categories / 2018 National Meet

Robert/Texas    -- 04-24-2018 @ 8:31 AM
  My wife and I have registered for the 2018 National Meet. On the application, I left the check marks for "Judging Categories" blank. The form stated that the if these were left blank that I would be contacted. To date I have not heard anything. I'm not really concerned about judging but have enough curiosity to allow it.

My 1934 Ford Roadster Description

The car had an estate title when I bought it in 1996 from the husband of the lady who had inherited it. The car came from an antique European auto museum located in Spring, Texas (just north of Houston), near the intersection of I-45 and Raeburn/Sawdust roads. The husband had been driving, servicing and modifying it for three years or so.

I assume that the car was assembled in Europe for the following reasons:
• Mid-January serial number but 1933 bumpers front and rear
• Export style brake system, e-brake on rear wheels only
• Looks like the hood latch system may have been modified
• Mileage style speedometer (appears to have been replaced)

The following changes were made by the husband:
• Body and wheels repainted Tacoma cream (originally, it was black w/red wheels)
• Repainted dashboard (poorly)
• Engine replaced with '36 LB
• Installed dual exhausts w/ tubular W-style headers
• Battery moved to rumble floor
• Push button starter w/solenoid and regulator installed
• Electric push-thru fuel pump w/immediate switch installed
• Added oil filter
• Several other changes that I undid

The following changes were made by me:
• Replaced distributor w/ Mallory
• Converted to 12-volt, negative ground
• Replaced starter w/ "Stump Puller" ( from Speedway)

I feel that the choices might be Touring, Touring A or Display. What do you think?

Thank you, Robert

This message was edited by Robert/Texas on 4-24-18 @ 9:01 AM

deluxe40    -- 04-24-2018 @ 9:42 AM
  Assuming the wheels and suspension are stock, I'd say Touring A. The 12v. conversion plus the duals suggest Touring A. The Mallory and the headers could be considered options of the 32-53 era. Display cars are even more highly modified.

ford38v8    -- 04-24-2018 @ 9:52 AM
  Robert, Your feeling that you'd "allow" your car to be judged sounds like you'd rather not allow it to be judged, so if that's the case, DISPLAY may be the way to go. In the other two classes you've suggested, "Judging" is a misnomer, as the cars are simply voted on by the attendees of the Meet. Judging doesn't happen in any class unless the owner requests it to happen.

Kens 36    -- 04-24-2018 @ 1:19 PM
  Robert,

When did you mail in your registration? I don't see a record of it.

If your Roadster has an alternator, Touring A would be appropriate. If it has a generator, stock heads, and a stock intake, Touring might be the way to go.

Ken

Robert/Texas    -- 04-24-2018 @ 3:37 PM
  Thanks to everybody. I spoke to Ken today and decided to enter it in the Display class. Now I have more knowledge about the classes.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11848