Topic: History of this car

hepkat63    -- 04-22-2018 @ 11:01 PM
  Hi,
I have just purchased a 1947 Ford Super Deluxe Coupe and was wondering if anyone might know the car, or know of the history of this car please?
I purchased it from Utica NY , however I believe the car has spent most of it's life in MD and PA.
The guy's name I bought it off was Phil Caruso, and he has had it for about a year. Previous to that, it belonged to Arthur Osterberg of Cambridge Springs PA whom I believe owned it for quite some time. The car only has 67K which is believed to be original mileage and is a very tidy unit. VIN is: 799A1606932
Incidentally, I am in Australia - so it will be making quite some trip !

Drbrown    -- 04-25-2018 @ 9:18 PM
  My experience in buying a '47 Ford in PA and registering it in NY:

PA issues "Title" documents for vintage cars so the PA owner must have had one, and he should have given it to the NY buyer. The NY fellow would have had to turn the Title into the NY State Motor Vehicle Dept IF he actually registered it. If the NY fellow did not register the car NYS he must still have the Title.

My point: The PA Title document shows the state of origin of the vehicle. That's about all you'll get. You very likely won't find out who owned it in MD or elsewhere. Most all state DMV's don't keep that info or they consider it "private".

Of course you could hire a detective but that's very costly and probably unproductive.

The VIN is not helpful except trying to estimate time of year car came out of assembly plant. Buy a copy of the Early Ford V8 Club book and learn how to interpret window "bug" marks etc.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 4-26-18 @ 10:14 PM

Drbrown    -- 04-26-2018 @ 10:18 PM
  The obvious .... why not ask the previous long-term PA owner Arthur B Osterberg. Don't wait, he's about age 77 and last reported to live at 219 Ross ST #APT 1, Cambridge Springs, PA 16403. He formerly lived in Erie PA and before that in Ohio. Found that info in one minute on internet. Try (814) 398-4754.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 4-26-18 @ 10:43 PM

1942deluxe    -- 04-27-2018 @ 8:31 AM
  Can't help you on your car but I bought my 1st 1947 Sedan Coupe in 1975 from Joyce Osterberg on Fry Road in Edinboro Pa. which is about 10 miles from where your car came from. They had another 47 Coupe which was much nicer than the one I got.

hepkat63    -- 04-29-2018 @ 3:10 AM
  thanks guys

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11843