Topic: 37 sedan delivery wood pieces

1937sedandelivery    -- 04-22-2018 @ 9:12 AM
  Hello,
My 37 Sedan Delivery has a fair amount of wood in the rear interior. Aside from the floor and quarter panel frame structure, there are some wooden cross members.
Question: do these wood pieces have Ford part numbers? If so, where can I get that information? Dimensioned drawings would be awesome to have also, but that is pretty remote.
Thanks,
Gregg

TomO    -- 04-22-2018 @ 9:52 AM
  I don't have a 37 Body Parts Catalog, but the 1940 Catalog doesn't show anything that would look like P/N for wood parts except for a roof bow.

The Henry Ford archives may have the drawings that you need, but remote research is expensive and when they find a drawing of a part, it costs $30 for a copy of the drawing.

My first option would be to contact Roy Nacewicz to see if he has the dimensions that you need and my second option would be to visit the archives in person and do your own research.

Before doing the second option, I would talk to Gary Mallest to get information of how to do the research at the archives. You don't have part numbers, so you will have to have a plan to get the part numbers, so you can see the drawings. Gary may be able to help you with this and if he cannot, will be able to tell you if it would be worth the trip.

My experience has been that if you have part numbers, you can do the research easily and you can have the drawings available for your research on the days that you plan to visit. If you don't have the part numbers, you will have to make more than one visit with at least a couple of weeks between the visits.

Tom

1937sedandelivery    -- 04-23-2018 @ 8:30 AM
  Thanks Tom.
I have the 37 Body Parts List book and it does not show/list any of the rear wood pieces.
It's a long trek for me to go to Dearborn (I am in southern Arizona), so a road trip is not on the agenda.
I will give Roy a call (he is well known for restoring a 37 Sedan Delivery), and has been helpful in the past for answering various questions.
gregg

40 Coupe    -- 04-24-2018 @ 4:06 AM
  The wood you show in your photo looks very good if you need to replace some it is amazing what a CNC router can do. The computer technology is amazing. Stop by your local woodworkers store and inquire. Often times the employees own their own equipment and will do projects for customers.

1937sedandelivery    -- 04-24-2018 @ 9:28 AM
  Thanks 40 Coupe.
We do have a woodworker's source shop in town. I bought some maple from them awhile back and duplicated some simple pieces. I will see what they can do for me.
Part of my wanting the p/n's is to complete some documentation I am doing. I find it fun to track down the p/n's of as many parts I can find and, along with photos of the parts, and paste them into a pdf.
gregg

Don Rogers    -- 04-24-2018 @ 9:53 AM
  Greg, I found a wood layout photo of a 36 panel delivery in the Benson Ford Research Center years ago. It came from Accession # 1660 Box 57. There may be similar photos for your sedan delivery in that grouping. The photo was nice because it gave individual part numbers for each piece of wood. Once you have the part numbers, you can look up each individual piece. Here's my photo of a 67-820 panel delivery.

Don Rogers

ps If you are going to the Grand National V-8 Meet in June, you could slip over to the Archives and take a look.

1937sedandelivery    -- 04-24-2018 @ 12:13 PM
  Hey Don,
Wow, that is a great pic of lots of wood. I see that they do assign p/n's to all the wood pieces. I have been looking for excuses to take a trip there.
Thanks for sharing the info and picture.
gregg

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11842