Topic: turn signal inrtensity

artron9    -- 04-19-2018 @ 4:20 AM
  Thanks to you guys I purchased tailight bulbs from Sacremento Parts. They were a little brighter. I also painted the bulb housing white. Both these things helped. I also replaced the flasher which didnt help at all. You can barely see the lights flashing. Any ideas?

cliftford    -- 04-19-2018 @ 5:18 AM
  Are you talking 6v or 12v? If 6v could you be using a 12v flasher? Do you have a good quality flasher, not a cheap foreign one? The switch might have dirty contacts.

TomO    -- 04-19-2018 @ 6:38 AM
  It sounds like the flasher may have too short of a "on" cycle. This could be due to poor grounding at the bulb or at the flasher, or low voltage at the flasher.

I would start by checking for a good ground by using a jumper from the light housing to a bare spot on the frame. If the lights stay on longer, that is your problem.

If the ground is good, then I would check the voltage at the bulb with the car running at a fast idle and the stop light switch shorted to get a steady voltage at the bulb. If it is less than 6 volts, you will have to find out where the loss is coming from.

Tom

artron9    -- 04-20-2018 @ 3:05 AM
  Thank you Cliftford and TomO. Iwill start by replacing the flasher with another new one from Napa. I notice that the lights get more intense when I increase the RPMs. Thats how they should be at idle I assume. This is a 6 volt pos grnd sysstem. 52 Crestline.

Drbrown    -- 04-26-2018 @ 10:58 PM
  Beside checking the above mentioned items, and since you notice that the lights get a little brighter when the engine RPM's are above idle, check the voltage output at your voltage regulator. OE type generators typically may be shy on voltage output at idle but a good mechanic can check and may be able to improve the voltage output.

Do you notice same when using headlights ?

artron9    -- 05-01-2018 @ 2:41 AM
  Great point dRbrown! WILL DO THAT!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11831