Topic: Removing 1937 Grille

TonyM    -- 04-17-2018 @ 9:03 AM
  I need to remove the 85hp engine from my 1937 Ford to make a necessary repair. It seems that I would need to remove the grill and radiator to accomplish the engine pull.

Need some guidance in removing the grill. Can the grille be removed without removing the fenders? I looked up some engine pull videos on youtube and those vids show guys removing engines from 37 Fords with no fenders on.

Do I need to remove the whole front clip to remove this grill? I looked it over briefly over the weekend and could not find any obvious path. The bolts holding the grill on appear to emerge under a fold in the fender. I have drawings from the 1937 Ford book and other reference books but those drawings are not a lot of help in the removal department. I need to really look hard at those assemblies to see what holds what where, but where to start?

Any help is appreciated.

T

78-730B

This message was edited by TonyM on 4-17-18 @ 9:26 AM

FordFreak    -- 04-17-2018 @ 10:02 AM
  Tony - I took the grill & radiator out of my '37 when I pulled the motor & trans . I would think you would have to , for the clearance . Some of the grill bolts are hard to get to . I used a 1/4 drive ratchet & extension , as they are thinner & will fit in the tight spots better . Be patient , you'll be alright . - F F

Kens 36    -- 04-17-2018 @ 12:51 PM
  Tony,

Sent you a p.m.

Ken

Shark    -- 04-17-2018 @ 6:39 PM
  I pulled my motor and transmission without taking the grill off. I removed all the accessories I could. Heads, intake, starter, generator. I taped corregated cardboard to all surfaces that could be scratched. If you can take off the water pumps. It will be alot easier to clear the grill. I have pics if you want them. Bruce

TonyM    -- 04-17-2018 @ 10:14 PM
  Thanks to all who responded.

TM

78-730B

FordFreak    -- 04-18-2018 @ 6:12 AM
  Tony -if you are just pulling the motor ( as opposed to w/the trans attached ) it looks like you don't have to remove the rad & grill . I pulled my motor w/the trans . attached .

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11827