Topic: front crank seal

autoluke    -- 04-17-2018 @ 7:43 AM
  Considering replacement of a leaking front seal on my '41, without removing the engine.
Somewhat anxious about the correct procedure.

Any thoughts/suggestions ?

TomO    -- 04-17-2018 @ 7:59 AM
  The round "O"ring seals do the best job of sealing.

To install one of them requires dropping the oil pan and while it can be done, it is easier to do with the engine out of the car.

The cork oil pan seal at the back of the oil pan, often gets knocked out of place when reinstalling the oil pan with the engine in the car because you cannot drop the pan directly on the engine. RTV helps hold the seal in place.

Tom

Bill E Bob    -- 04-17-2018 @ 8:05 AM
  Ok, here's my take. Nice tutorial on you tube on how to replace front engine seal. Seal consists of a modern type oil seal with a rubber surround (looks like a grommet). Since my crank pulley had a spiral groove in it (to redirect the oil back into the engine while rotating) I figured a speedy sleeve to cover the grooves. Installed using a bit of silicone sealant on the outside and inside of the oil seal cover. No leaks. Ordered from Gotham Auto Parts (James Sacoccio) good man to deal with and knows which speedy sleeve to send with the seal. Speedy sleeve is a fairly easy install and directions come with it. Note: This was a 59AB engine ('47 Ford)
William(Got this repair right)Brown
Whoops--a bit of front end parts removal in order to ease removal of oil pan. Believe I removed the tie rod and crossover pipe. Tip: Felpro makes some fasteners called "Snap Ups" really makes reinstalling the oil pan easier. As TomO mentioned, some RTV to hold gasket in place--I used thread--no leaks Well, need to add: Credit due to Len47Merc for tips on snap ups and parts removal from front end.

This message was edited by Bill E Bob on 4-17-18 @ 8:16 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11826