Topic: PROBLEM CHARGING

zuktom    -- 05-02-2010 @ 4:45 PM
  On a 59ab have 12v with a ford altnator and regulator
doesn't charge till reved up some.most driving is done
at low speeds therfore it runs off battery
thanks

ford38v8    -- 05-02-2010 @ 6:55 PM
  zuktom, Although I am a 6v/generator purist, it is my understanding that an alternator will continue to charge if the revs are goosed just once to the point of beginning to charge. Some have installed smaller pulleys to maintain higher revs of the alternator, but I don't know if that is necessary in all cases.

Alan

nuts&bolts    -- 05-03-2010 @ 4:01 AM
  On the back of the alternator there is a little plastic cover over the place where other wiring is to be connected. If you remove the cover you will see either one or two male spade connectors. Just before starting take a piece of wire that will touch both connectors and momentarily touch the battery hot wire. This will excite the internal regulator and charging should begin just after the engine is started. I do this on my Model A.
It has also been recommended that you change he alternator pulley to a smaller diameter - a good idea and will eliminate the necessity of manually exciting the internal regulator.

supereal    -- 05-03-2010 @ 6:14 AM
  We sometimes install a push button under the dash to provide a momentary ground for the alternator. It connects to one of the terminals on the rear of the unit. One of the main drawbacks of the 6 volt one wire conversions is that they tend to be slow in kicking on, in any case, even with the smaller pulley. In most cases, they will come on by themselves when the voltage level at the battery drops far enough. This was a problem is modern cars until they devised a battery to ignition switch connection to "goose" the alternator. This problem is common to most of the one-wire conversions we have seen. In fact, they are only marginally better than the generator, if as good.

ford38v8    -- 05-03-2010 @ 6:08 PM
  Nuts&bolts, That's very interesting, and is something I never knew. Tell me, please, where is this little plastic cover located on a Model 1946 Wife, and what kind of battery is recommended for this unit?

Alan

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-05-2010 @ 5:03 PM
  I have a 6 volt pos ground alternator from CERTIFIED AUTO ELECT, and it works perfect, no reving UP to get to charge, and just one wire,using the original wire going to the generator, took 20 minutes to install,
I am using because I toasted my generator 2 years ago, and used this for a back up, till I get a generator rebuilt,and charges with NO PROBLEMS,,,,!!!
hope this helps,37RAGTOPMAN,

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1182