Topic: Question about speedometer

nelsb01    -- 04-14-2018 @ 7:42 AM
  This is a picture of the back of a 1936 Ford pickup speedometer. The question for TomO and others is --- what is that little slot? It does not slide. I have taken the case off, and it looks like where you would put a drop of oil to lubricate the speedometer. Am I right? I have other speedometers and none of them have this slot. (those other speedometers are from 1937 Fords)
Appreciate any insight.

TomO    -- 04-14-2018 @ 8:27 AM
  Bruce, you have me stumped. The 1940 and later speedometers have a small oil hole on the top. It has a felt wick in it and a tin cap that fits over the hole. It does not look the least bit like your photo.

Maybe JM or Don Rogers can answer your question. Both of them have more knowledge of the 36 Ford in their little fingers that I have in my library.

Tom

nelsb01    -- 04-14-2018 @ 8:35 AM
  I did send the picture to Don. His response was one of wonder also. A close look at the material in the slot does look like a dry material that could absorb something.
I did not take the speedometer completely apart, as in removing the internals, so was not able to see where the material ended up.

35ford    -- 04-15-2018 @ 4:05 AM
  Bruce, Checked my collection which are all S/W and did not see any such slot or hole. kx

silverchief    -- 04-15-2018 @ 1:10 PM
  Could it be an access hole for adjustment....... without removing the back?

35ford    -- 04-16-2018 @ 11:47 AM
  bruce,After looking at your picture the restored and un restored S?W speedometers have the same set up. I had Renolds from Fl. re Bo mine. Do you need one? Kermit

nelsb01    -- 04-16-2018 @ 1:44 PM
  Kermit;
Thanks for the offer.
But this one worked when I took it out 200 years ago (it seems), so I am going to give it a try.
I have cleaned the cable housing and re-greased the cable. Just need 18 inches of snow to disappear and then dry out to get it out and test it.

3w2    -- 04-16-2018 @ 5:39 PM
  Bruce,

That's an easy one. A twisted wire went through the hole and looped around and closed off with a lead seal stamped with a date. You cannot take the speedometer apart without cutting the wire and removing the seal. It was the manufacturer's way of protecting itself from warranty claims for speedometers that had been tampered with. Only Stewart Warner speedometers had this provision as Delco and Waltham evidently had other means to protect them from fraudulent warranty claims.

Not a lot of surviving speedometers have this seal intact.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11816