Topic: Fuel pump vapor lock

johncard    -- 04-07-2018 @ 2:36 PM
  Did Ford have a solution for fuel pump vapor lock? Early Ford V-8's operated in desert regions, there must have been some way to prevent fjuel pump vapor lock

woodiewagon46    -- 04-07-2018 @ 3:00 PM
  John, vapor lock has been around ever since cars were built. The V-8 Club now allows electric fuel pumps with no deduction of points. Over the years there have been countless ways to prevent it, some good and some not so good. One method that some have used is placing wooden, clip type clothes pins on the fuel line. I think they act as a heat sink, but some say that this is a waste of time. On long runs in traffic, we sometimes placed bath towels around the fuel line in the engine compartment and kept it soaked with cold water. Unfortunately it required pulling over and re-saturating the towel every so often. Some have tried heat shields and the insulation street rodders use in their engine compartments. I'm sure others can give you some ideas on how they combat it.

kubes40    -- 04-07-2018 @ 3:22 PM
  And then there are those that have built all of the mechanicals to perform well and vapor lock is a non-issue.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

sarahcecelia    -- 04-07-2018 @ 7:46 PM
  .....and then there are those that use Ethanol fuel and get "vapor lock." Stop using it and use "non Ethanol!!!!"Ethanol has alchohol in it, and the alchohol vaporizes extremely easily, Thus vapor lock. My first 1950 Ford sedan was when I was 18, in 1955, and I never got vapor lock, and now I have two, and have never experienced any vapor lock!! But I always use fuel with NO ETHANOL in it!! Maybe if you can't afford to use the non Ethanol because of the price, you can't afford the hobby.

BUCKAWHO    -- 04-08-2018 @ 4:23 AM
  Hi...I also use non-ethanol fuel in my '51, and have no vapor lock problems! It is worth the extra cost of about 25 cents per gallon. I also use it in my '69 Vette to avoid problems with rubber carb and fuel line components. BT

42wagon    -- 04-08-2018 @ 5:20 AM
  Unfortunately in Connecticut and probably other states it is a state law that all gasoline sold for use in automobiles must have ethanol in it. I suppose you could go to a marina or airport and get non ethanol gas but that is difficult and not always available.

kubes40    -- 04-08-2018 @ 5:27 AM
  In this area it's all (ethanol) that is available ... still no vapor lock issues.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Big Red 51    -- 04-08-2018 @ 7:23 AM
  My experience has been, assuming good mechanicals, is that if you have "vapor like problems" is that the ignition coil is most likely breaking down. Has always corrected my problems over the years. Don

TomO    -- 04-08-2018 @ 7:41 AM
  The best solution to actual"vapor lock", is to have a fuel system in good condition. A good flow of fuel is necessary to prevent vapor lock.

Make sure that the fuel line from the tank to the firewall does not leak vacuum. A one piece line that has the correct flange or ferrule at the tank end ( depending on the year of the car) and at the fuel pump end.

Make sure that the line is not plugged with rust from the tank or the line itself.

Check the flex line for condition, they can collapse internally.

Make sure that the fuel pump push rod is not worn out.

All of these can be checked by performing a fuel delivery check.

https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=7440&keywords=fuel%20delivery

You should also search the forum using the key words "fuel delivery" and "vapor lock" as fuel delivery is not the only cause of the common "vapor lock". The stumbling and dying on a hot day can also be caused by ignition problems.

Tom

carcrazy    -- 04-08-2018 @ 8:14 AM
  The only times our flathead powered Ford experienced vapor lock was when driving through the desert when the outside temperatures were 120+ degrees F. The engine would run alright as long as the car was kept moving and driving. If the car was stopped for a short period of time, like five or ten minutes for a rest area break, the engine would re-start immediately but stall out as soon as it was driven out onto the road and attempts were made to accelerate in traffic. Once the engine had stalled out, the most effective ways of getting it to re-start and run right away were: a shot of starting fluid and running the auxillary electric fuel pump.

len47merc    -- 04-08-2018 @ 1:05 PM
  Agree completely with kubes40 & TomO. Completely. From fuel cap to carb if all is in PROPER running order vapor lock is a non-issue. From experience - and appreciation for both these gentlemen. Ethanol or not. 95-105 degrees stop-n-go, engine off, fires right up. Always. End of story.

Steve

JayChicago    -- 04-09-2018 @ 7:31 PM
  An internal break in the coil can appear to be vapor lock.: Engine runs fine until it gets hot, then sputters and won't re-start. Sit for a half hour until coil cools, runs fine again.

I believe this type of coil failure is common with the early coils. Maybe that's part of the reason the early V8s have the "vapor lock " reputation.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11806