Topic: Help please

ginnyb    -- 04-05-2018 @ 4:08 PM
  I have just inherited a 1951 custom convertible and imported it from Canada to NZ. Unfortunately even with the title from the USA and Canada, NZ is insisting on siting the VIN. There is a VIN listed on the paperwork as well as a chassis number. The chassis number is stamped on the cowl just under the bonnet, however due to age and many paint jobs it is obscured. I did a rubbing with a pencil to show that the number matched the paperwork, however they are insisting on the VIN. From what I have read the VIN is really a serial number. I cannot locate on the frame the serial number (I am not remotely handy), however have crawled under the car and tried scr*ping the frame in many places in hopes of finding the number. Does anyone out there know where I can find it? I believe based on the VIN/serial number it was manufactured in Memphis. Thanks

51woodie    -- 04-05-2018 @ 4:51 PM
  According to the EFV-8 1949 to 51 restorers guide (second edition) page 1-16, "Serial numbers were stamped on the data plate and on top of the right hand reinforcement (side member to No1 cross member), or on top of the right hand side member (below the coil on eight-cylinder models). There should also be a * stamped at the start and end of the VIN number, to insure the numbers or letters could not be added to the serial number. I might suggest that you purchase the 1949-50-51 Ford Book Restorers Guide from the EFV-8 Club. There is a wealth of information in that book that will be very helpful to you.

deluxe40    -- 04-05-2018 @ 6:56 PM
  Here's a picture to get you in the right neighborhood. You can just see traces of the serial number along the top edge of the brace running from the side frame rail to the front cross member. Scr*pe lightly because the numbers are not deeply stamped.

nelsb01    -- 04-05-2018 @ 7:06 PM
  May I also suggest that you look behind the passenger side hood hinge -- their is a flat metal baffle there, and at least on 1949 Fords. there was a data plate attached there -- and it had the VIN number stamped on it.

This may not be true for 1951 -- but take a look anyway.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11802