Topic: paint

artron9    -- 04-05-2018 @ 4:49 AM
  Still working on my 52 crestline vic. I want to keep the original paint which is not too bad. Raven Black and Sungate Ivory. Were these paints lacquer or enamel? Any tips on bringing back the original shine?

TomO    -- 04-05-2018 @ 6:49 AM
  Those paints were enamel. I used Mequires Fine Cut Cleaner to bring the shine back to my 53 Lincoln. The paint was in very good condition to begin with, so if yours is very dull, you may not be able to bring the shine back.

Enamel has a surface layer that provides the shine, once that layer is worn through, you cannot get a good shine on the car.

Here is a photo of my Lincoln as I purchased it.

Tom

TomO    -- 04-05-2018 @ 6:58 AM
  Here is a photo take last summer

Tom

sarahcecelia    -- 04-05-2018 @ 11:40 AM
  That is one GORGEOUS Lincoln!! You can be EXTREMELy proud of it. and I know you are!! I'd love to see pics of the interior and motor!! (and so would everybody on the forum!!)

Regards, Steve Lee

TomO    -- 04-06-2018 @ 7:42 AM
  Thank you for the compliment. You can take your own photos at Auburn in 2019.

Here is a teaser

Tom

estout81    -- 04-07-2018 @ 1:04 PM
  Have you tried the clay bar on it? I have a '81 Fairmont with original black paint and that is what I use. I found nothing works better or easier.

woodiewagon46    -- 04-07-2018 @ 3:05 PM
  All I would do is a good machine polish and wax. Your car is beautiful as a survivor and I would be proud of that fact.

TomO    -- 04-09-2018 @ 8:41 AM
  artron9 did not post a photo of his car.

That is my Lincoln and I was trying to demonstrate that you can get a very good shine without using a machine polish. Most machine polishes are more aggressive than paint cleaners. Clay bars are good for removing bugs and other debris that get embedded in paint, but they do not remove the oxidation like a cleaner does.

Now that my car shines nice, i just use Meguiar's Wash and wax to keep the car clean and every other year, use the Cleaner wax followed by Yellow Wax. My daily drivers get that treatment more often.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 4-9-18 @ 8:41 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11801