Topic: Engine Casting Number for 47 Ford

47Fordor    -- 10-10-2009 @ 6:58 PM
  I need one of you official members to give some information to a (hopefully) soon-to-be member. I pulled the engine out of my '47 Fordor today and I'd really apreciate it if one of you could decode the engine casting number for me. Casting number on the back of the block (just above the bell housing) is H4722. Also, what is the meaning of the larger number 59 stamped directly below the casting number?

Thanks,

Chris

TomO    -- 10-11-2009 @ 8:56 AM
  Chris,

Unlike the later engines, there is nor reference to the casting numbers on a flathead V-8. The large 59 denotes a 45-48 engine. This would be the correct block for your car.

Tom

donclink    -- 10-11-2009 @ 11:43 AM
  Chris, in addition to what Tom has said, there is a serial number stamped into the top of the transmission, right above the inspection plate. This would be the chassis/engine number that would be found on the title. If the transmission was changed, they might not match, but for 1947, should start with 79A.

42wagon    -- 10-11-2009 @ 12:46 PM
  AS you have already been told the large "59" indicates that you have a model 59 engine and the other number that matters to you is the engine serial number that was stamped on the top of the transmission case. The number H4722 was a casting number known only apparently to the foundry men in the Rouge plant. Except for historical info it has no valid meaning to your restoration effort.
Ted

47Fordor    -- 10-12-2009 @ 6:07 AM
  Last week, I posted "What Can You Tell Me About My Heater and Radio?," in which trjford8 said that the 41-48 Ford book said that my heater was introduced late in the model year. This kind of backs up my theory:
The "H" could be the 8th month (August), the "47" obviously the year and the "22" could be the day of the month- "H4722"=August 22, 1947. Of course, nothing says the block didn't sit in the factory for a little while before being installed but it would definitely have been late in the model year.

I frequent the Ford N Tractor page and, although the order is different, it is similar to the system used on Ford tractor parts cast around that time. Yes, I know that this isn't a tractor but you may be surprised in the similarities. Henry had his hand deep in ALL his products. If I'm not mistaken, when Mr. Ford entered the tractor business, in 1939, the engines used were left-overs from the Model A.

Thanks for the input!

Chris

ford38v8    -- 10-12-2009 @ 7:08 PM
  Chris, with all due respect, I believe you are mistaken on two points:
Henry Ford had from the first been involved in, and performed many
experiments with farm machinery. The Fordson Tractor, so named for
Ford & Son Edsel, was first available in the marketplace in the year 1927.
The 9N Ford Tractor engine was newly designed to use many of the same
parts that the Ford V8 engine used at the time, including pistons, rings,
rods, and valves. That would give this engine a 3 1/16 bore, as opposed
to the Model A bore of 3 7/8". No wonder the Tractor engine was usually
replaced with a V8!

Alan

47Fordor    -- 10-13-2009 @ 4:16 AM
  My apologies; how could I have forgotten the Fordson?? Bad motor head...bad! On the other hand, don't knock those old stock engines in the N tractors. I don't know how many were made but you still see them all over the place and those old engines sound just like they did 60 years ago. There were only about 5000 Funk conversions made so most remained 4 bangers. I just wish parts for our old cars were as easy to find as parts for those old tractors!

Chris

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=118