Topic: Steering Box lube

sarahcecelia    -- 04-02-2018 @ 8:27 AM
  An old friend, who has worked on 50's cars for years, (he's 78), says to fill my new steering box with STP, because it will stick to the gears providing better lubrication. Thoughts???

wmsteed    -- 04-02-2018 @ 10:08 AM
  I have used STP oil additive in the steering gear boxes in old cars for years, it works great and is very slow to leak out. I always set the can of STP out in the sun for awhile to warm it up and make it more easier to pore. I then put a small funnel into the fill holes and slowly pore the STP into the gear box.. I check the fill level several times to make sure the gear do is not to full.
Pep Boys sells a product called Motor honey that is very thick and quite similar to STP.
Several of the old car guys recommend a product made by John Deere, Corn Head Lube. I thing it is a very thick lube that reputedly works very well on leaky steering gear boxes. I like the STP,Motor Honey because I can pick it up anywhere.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

kubes40    -- 04-02-2018 @ 10:28 AM
  I've been using John Deere cornhead grease for years... no drips and it is designed to stay where it is needed.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

sarahcecelia    -- 04-02-2018 @ 12:11 PM
  Thanks Bill

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 04-02-2018 @ 12:12 PM
  Thanks Mike "Kube."

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 04-02-2018 @ 12:13 PM
  I've got a new bottle of STP, and I'm gonna put it in!!

Regards, Steve Lee

TomO    -- 04-03-2018 @ 7:52 AM
  STP is a motor oil additive and may not provide the lubrication needed in the high pressures of the worm and roller gear box. STP makes a gear oil additive, but I don't believe that it is sold in this country.

Corn head grease has EP additives and would probably be a better solution to the leaking gear box than STP. The best solution is to rebuild the steering box with new bushings,bearings and seals and then use the proper grease.

As an aside, just because you are old and worked on cars does not make you an expert on lubrication. I am in my mid 80s and worked with both mechanicals and electronics for most of my life. Lubrication is a specialty in most companies that make products that move and have friction components.

Just because you used something and observed no bad effects doesn't ensure that someone else using that product will not have bad results. A lubrication engineer will test the product under different conditions and examine for wear and deterioration after each test.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 4-3-18 @ 8:04 AM

JM    -- 04-03-2018 @ 8:17 AM
  IMO you are right on the money TomO!!

John

BUCKAWHO    -- 04-04-2018 @ 4:45 AM
  TomO is right. STP is not a lubricant. It is a Viscosity Index Improver, meant to be added to oils to raise it's viscosity. Like changing from 20 weight to 30 weight oil. You need an oil type lube in the gearbox, and there are several to choose from, most in the 90 weight range, or even higher. BT

40 Coupe    -- 04-04-2018 @ 8:03 AM
  Ford specified "EP" lube (extreem pressure) STP does not fill the spec.

Reconnoiter1    -- 04-05-2018 @ 1:28 AM
  I use this lube specifically designed for vintage steering boxes....also helps stop or slow down common leaks. Penrite Steering Lube, Australian product but available here in USA from Restoration Supply. Here is a link:

https://www.restorationstuff.com/ecommerce/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=111_112&products_id=710&zenid=b632ie6mohp3eanrj56sjpspm2

Robert/Texas    -- 04-05-2018 @ 4:43 AM
  I agree with using Penrite. I bought my '34 roadster in 1996 and it had (and still has) tubular steel headers on it. The driver side header nearly touches the steering box so there is no room for a heat shield. The box always leaked and made a big mess, especially after long drives until I filled it with Penrite. My bottle came with just a standard lid so it took a long time to fill the box but now I never need to add any fluid or clean up the mess.

Drbrown    -- 04-05-2018 @ 6:56 AM
  I use Penrite in my '47 box. Visit Ford Barn discussion regarding ways to install at .... (http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21840)

Steering lube- Penrite 1200W

Restoration Supply Company
15182B Highland Valley Road
Escondido, CA 92025
Phone: 800-306-7008 or 760-741-4014
www.RestorationStuff.com
info@RestorationStuff.com
Hours: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM (Pacific Time) Monday-Friday
Product is Part# LUB009 Penrite Steering Box Lube. Comes in a .5 LTR bottle. Price is plus shipping UPS Ground.

TomO    -- 04-05-2018 @ 7:18 AM
  Penrite seems to be a better choice than corn head grease when you look at the vague specifications.

It is a semi-fluid while corn head grease is a soft grease.
Both claim to have similar lubricating, corrosion, EP and temperature properties.

Tom

1934 Ford    -- 04-10-2018 @ 5:48 PM
  I use the John Deere Corn Head Grease in my leaky "rebuilt" steering box.

1934 Ford's since 1972

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11793