Topic: Early 47 with both Tube & Hydraulic Shocks

lance99    -- 03-30-2018 @ 3:27 PM
  First Thanks for the replies on my question on brake drum install question early this week..

I installed new tube shocks on the front (Monroe 32207) and had no idea that this early 47 car didn't come originally with tube shocks. Looks like Dad added a aftermarket kit based on pics I found on-line. See pic. Hope the installed shocks are the proper length. I just used on-line lookup for 47 and 48 model years not knowing that the tubes were not stock.

After finishing the front I moved to the back. Looks like the car has both tube shocks and the original hydraulic units on it. Would this have been per the aftermarket instructions? Don't know what brand of aftermarket kit.

Based on the photos, anyone have any idea on the proper replacement tube shock length for this? I'd like to have on-hand before removing the old ones. And any comments having both type of shocks? Seems a little strange to have both?

Thank you

ps I think I posted the pics but may be having some newbie issues.

woodiewagon46    -- 03-30-2018 @ 5:39 PM
  Tube shocks were standard on many '47 and '48 vehicles. To get the proper shock length, with the car on the ground measure between the bottom and top mounting holes. Next raise the car off the ground and take the measurement. This gives you max open and max closed. Take the measurements to an auto parts store and they should have shock book, or take your shock off and compress and open it to the max and see what you get. I have Bilstein BE5-B494-TO on the front of my '46 but I have dropped axle.

len47merc    -- 04-01-2018 @ 5:41 AM
  lance99 - Tube shocks were not original on the vast majority of 'Early 47' cars as you describe yours. While the '41-'48 Ford Book, on pages 4-8 thru 4-10, describes the implementation date(s) of direct acting shock absorbers as variable and further states 'Quite early 1947s are known to have been assembled with the new shocks...', and the 'Evolutionary Changes' in Appendix D makes no mention of the specific date of conversion, this generally is only accepted as original on '...late 1947 and 1948 cars'. 'Late 1947' typically references cars manufactured in the fall of '47. Many early '47s (i.e., pre-facelift change in April of '47) were fundamentally '46's with a '47 manufacture/finish date.

I have personally been 'all over' dozens of '46's and '47's and can say for those with window bugs I could trust to be original glass, and the serial numbers could be estimated to be consistent with the bugs' codes, I have never seen a '46 or early (pre-April '47) '47 with tube shocks. The earliest I have ever seen had window bugs of August of '47. If you have one it is certainly a rare bird. Fwiw.

Steve

supereal    -- 04-05-2018 @ 10:57 AM
  I traced the build date of my '47 to late August. It had original tube shocks. I replaced them with with shocks from C&G. 7RC=18125-A.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11788