Topic: 47 Ford Fasteners

jamesmundstock    -- 03-26-2018 @ 9:26 AM
  I am restoring my 47 Coupe. I took off all the front sheet metal and there was a hodge podge of fasteners, nuts, and washers. I have the early V-8 Ford manual but it really does not say what fasteners and sizes go where. I have a parts manual also and that is a little help but not much better. Does anyone have an exploded view with fasteners called out. Does anyone sell fastening kits for these Fords with the correct repro fasteners? If it was a 60's muscle car, you could buy fastening kits all day log. Please help. Thanks.

nelsb01    -- 03-26-2018 @ 4:30 PM
  Check out Fordbolts.com
Roy has kits for most assemblies. And, if you have questions, he usually is available to answer.

TomO    -- 03-27-2018 @ 7:19 AM
  It is a good idea to take photos as you disassemble things from your car. You will need to show the fasteners and the assembly details. Then label the photos as soon as you can. The parts manual does not call out all of the fasteners and anti-squeek material used in assembling the car as they were produced to help service people find replacement parts.

The front clip fasteners will be listed in the Chassis Parts Catalog, but not all in one place. Some of them will be in the fender section and others will be in the radiator section along with some in the frame section.

I would also suggest that you join a Regional Group of The Early Ford V-8 Club and buddy up with a member that has a car similar to yours. Attending National Meets and looking at cars on the Concourse will also help you with some of the details.

Tom

kubes40    -- 03-27-2018 @ 12:43 PM
  Identifying the correct "nuts and bolts" is one of the most difficult tasks when properly restoring a car.
As has been suggested, two great places to "call on" for reference are:
Roy Nacewicz and members who have "been there - done that". In other words, folks who have restored their cars properly and have the evidence (judging sheets) to prove it was done properly.
If you were restoring a '39 or '40, I am confident I could describe type, size and finish of every fastener, etc. utilized. A '47? I've only restored one to date and it has not yet be scrutinized at a major show.

Also, with MUCH due respect to TomO, be careful what fastener is called out for in any parts manual. All too often they are "generic" and were meant only to be identified and used in service - NO regard to what came off the assembly line.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

jamesmundstock    -- 03-28-2018 @ 9:01 AM
  Thanks for the source. I will check them out

jamesmundstock    -- 03-28-2018 @ 9:04 AM
  Thanks Tom. For others reading this post it is great advice. I bag and label my fasteners all the time and take photos. My car has such a hodge podge that it was useless. That is why I was looking for documentation. Fasteners are all different. Thanks for the response anyway.

jamesmundstock    -- 03-28-2018 @ 9:06 AM
  Thanks for the response.

jamesmundstock    -- 03-30-2018 @ 3:57 PM
  I checked out ford bolts.com and it is a great source. Thanks.

kubes40    -- 03-30-2018 @ 4:13 PM
  James, As a "bonus" of sorts, when you are "stumped", call Roy (FordBolts) and pick his brain. He's very knowledgeable and quick to help.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11779