Topic: 1936 Ford Phaeton Seatbelts

Lobo    -- 03-18-2018 @ 10:36 AM
  Does anyone have advise on installing seatbelts ie. legnth, where to attach on floor or frame, supplier?

nelsb01    -- 03-18-2018 @ 4:40 PM
  I would suggest the standard lap belt design. I went with a standard black in color. There are several sources available where you can purchase belts.
The thing to work out is how you attach them through the floor. If you have a carpet in the back, create a hole punch to cut through the carpet before drilling the holes. Reason: once the drill catches a carpet thread, it will run your carpet. You can make one very simply using copper pipe and grinding one end to a sharp edge. Then tap with a hammer until it cuts through the carpet. The seat belts come with bolts and nuts, but get the biggest steel washers you can to reinforce the floor from underneath. You want the belts to be mounted not directly down from the back of seat, but at an angle.
One thing to do is check underneath the body to see where you front seat is attached and use that as a reference for where you drill the holes. It is not a tough job to do.

I am sure others will tell their stories.

Lobo    -- 03-18-2018 @ 6:51 PM
  Thanks for your response. Do you recall what the length of seatbelt that you used

nelsb01    -- 03-18-2018 @ 7:52 PM
  No. When I purchased mine I don't believe that I had a choice of length. I know that now that they are installed, the buckle end hangs over the edge of the front seat by about 6 inches when extended. That might be a way that you could estimate needed length. Slide a tape between the seat back and bottom and then run it at a angle to the rear floor, and then check the over hang.

Hope this helps.

3w2    -- 03-19-2018 @ 11:00 AM
  Washers, no matter how large, won't be enough prevent the belts ripping up the floor pan and being rendered useless in a major collision. You will need major league reinforcements to spread the forces over a large area. No such reinforcements are an original part of a '36 floor pan. Either a sturdy u-shaped channel or angle iron attached to the frame rails and center cross member is required.

pauls39coupe    -- 03-19-2018 @ 2:50 PM
  Juliano's has a good selection of belts, lengths, colors, latch styles. They also have a backer available to mount below the floor that will spread the force so that the belt won't rip through the floor. Still it is a good idea to mount the belts trough the frame where possible, plus use their backer.
I have installed cheaper belts but they loosened at the buckle as the car went down the road, making them ineffective. They were pulled and replaced with Juliano's belts. No I do not own the company or have any stock in it. I just recommend stuff that has worked for me.
Use a tape measure to check if you need a longer than standard belt. I would recommend metal to metal buckles with a button release as they are what folks are used to in their modern cars.

Lobo    -- 03-19-2018 @ 5:29 PM
  Thanks everyone for your response. I need to spend some time on the car looking where I can without a spot for the bolts to attach. Once again thank you

51woodie    -- 03-21-2018 @ 6:34 AM
  Check Seat Belts Plus. This link has info on measuring/installing seat belts.

http://www.seatbeltsplus.com/FIT.html

Lobo    -- 03-23-2018 @ 2:40 PM
  thanks, very helpful video!!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11749