Topic: 1936 Tudor - Need help with value! Not for sale!

Dad'sOld'36    -- 03-15-2018 @ 10:39 AM
  First, I'm new to the forums. My name's William. I grew up in the old car hobby and can't imagine not having something older than I am to drive around in. I currently am riding in a '66 F100 and a '54 Willys CJ-3B. I grew up riding around in my grandfather's 1938 Chevrolet Coupe and my Dad's 1936 Ford Tudor Sedan.

I ask for your help in determining a reasonable value for my father's car, not for the purpose of sale, but in order to be able to keep the car in the family. Dad has become incapacitated and his estate does not have sufficient funds for his care. As such, the car must be purchased from his estate so that the state will not question the title transfer.

About the car:
- 1936 Tudor Sedan (not sure if Deluxe or Std)
- 21-stud flathead (currently stuck, but not exposed to the weather)
- Disassembled (front sheet metal, engine, transmission, some interior and dash components removed - Dad took it apart about 15 years ago to start work on it.)
- Incomplete (some trim items, brackets, minor engine parts and dash components removed)
- Body/paint condition is fair (some rust in fenders and tail pan)
- Interior condition is poor (not usable)

Please help me determine a reasonable value so I can keep this car in my family. Dad bought the car from the 2nd owner nearly 50 years ago.

Thank you in advance!

CharlieStephens    -- 03-15-2018 @ 10:48 AM
  You might consider the Old Cars Price Guide (it gives you a number to show that is printed on paper and you can show to someone). Be sure to deduct for the amount of costs to bring it up to the condition you are using in the price guide.

Charlie Stephens

Dad'sOld'36    -- 03-15-2018 @ 6:56 PM
  Thanks! I picked up a copy this evening on my way home.

Before long I'll be asking for help identifying parts and figuring out where they belong. I hope to get the car assembled and running so dad can ride in it at least one more time.

This message was edited by Dad'sOld'36 on 3-15-18 @ 6:59 PM

JM    -- 03-15-2018 @ 10:08 PM
  Posting some pictures of the car here or on some picture hosting webside that we could access might help us in determining an estimated value.

John

ford38v8    -- 03-15-2018 @ 11:39 PM
  William, your plan to get the car running for your dad is admirable, but from the condition you describe, you've got a long haul to get there, even if you are a mechanical whiz and have all the time and money to put into the project. If the motor is stuck and missing a basketful of parts, you'll be very lucky to get it running under its own power for an additional investment of less than the car is worth as it stands today. Then, there's still the other expenses of tires, upholstery, rust, paint, glass... I'm really sorry to rain on your parade.

Alan

TomO    -- 03-16-2018 @ 8:12 AM
  Welcome to the Forum, William. I am sorry to hear that your reason for joining is your father's poor health. I am impressed with your desire to get the 36 back on the road and will give you any help that I can. Others on the Forum that are more familiar with the 36 that I am will also give you help. I would suggest that you join the Early ford V-8 Club and a Regional Group near you. The R G members will be able to give you more personalized help as they can be on site.

From your description, the car is in Old Cars Price guide condition 6, a parts car. Make sure that you take lots of photos to document the condition before you start to clean the dust off. Then you can show the photos and Price Guide page to the state to document how you determined the value. Don't start work on it until the sale is approved by the state.

Some of the Deluxe features are: chrome grill, chrome windshield frame, 2 tail lights, 2 horns and 2 sun visors.

Alan's comments about the expense of restoring a car in today's environment are right on, it is an expensive and time consuming undertaking. Once you have title to the car, start another post to get help on getting it running.

Tom

Dad'sOld'36    -- 03-17-2018 @ 7:23 AM
  Thanks to all for your responses. I had an appraiser look at the car. His valuation was very close to #6 in the Old Cars Price Guide. I also took photos to document the car's condition.

In going through the documents we have for the car, I discovered that I was mistaken about the ownership history. I understood that dad had purchased the car from the second owner, which was not entirely incorrect due to the fact that my grandfather was the second owner. I found a copy of the Michigan title for the car dated January of 1936 and a copy of the bill of sale from 1968 signed by the same owner. I also found in grandad's handwriting a note that says the original owner was a Ford employee. I can't verify that, but it is possible as Mr. Arndt's address on the Michigan title is only 3 miles from the assembly plant.

Concerning restoration of the car, I don't believe I will. That would, as you have mentioned, be costly and could easily cost more than the future value of the car. More importantly, at least to me, restoration would destroy some of the car's history. The paint is original. There's the repaired front fender from where dad had a minor accident in 1969. The rear fenders are folded in slightly from where Mr. Arndt had trouble judging his driveway gate. There's a place where grandad practiced pinstriping when he was restoring his '38 Chevy. No, I think I'll put it back together, get it running and enjoy it as is.

ford38v8    -- 03-17-2018 @ 8:04 AM
  William, From the picture you posted, and the rich family history and documentation you have, I agree that your plan now is sound. There really can be no value assigned other than priceless, and anything done beyond getting it running would forever erase that history. You may also consider joining the EFV8CA, and entering it in the Rouge Class once you get it running, and hopefully qualifying in both interior and exterior areas, although not eligible in the running gear area! Tattered original upholstery and original rust can be preserved and appreciated in the Rouge Class! Good luck!

Alan

TomO    -- 03-18-2018 @ 9:34 AM
  I agree, get it running and enjoy it. You can restore any part of the car that has a condition that bothers you and leave the rest. My Lincoln is a Rouge car and I fight with myself every Spring about the wiring and just end up patching it.

Tom

Dad'sOld'36    -- 03-19-2018 @ 2:47 AM
  Your Lincoln is absolutely gorgeous!

ken ct.    -- 03-19-2018 @ 4:15 AM
  Good looker Tom,looks like a same yr. Merc on steroids. Oue of my favorites. ken ct

TomO    -- 03-19-2018 @ 8:53 AM
  Thanks for the compliments. The original owner babied the car and only used it on nice days as did the next 2 owners. I was told that it had only 3,000 miles on it in the late 1980's when it was sold by her children. It now has about 42,000 miles on it. I bought it in 2014 with 38,000 miles and also baby it.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11739