Topic: Woodgrained Dash

Whifty    -- 03-13-2018 @ 4:25 PM
  For those of you interested in woodgraining your dash but don't care to spend a couple grand to do it, I thought I'd share this with you. I did my dash and window molding with 3M Di-Noc Mahogany vinyl, then two coats of clear. I did it myself, but it would have been easier with a helper. All you need is a hair dryer or heat gun, razor knife and a plastic or wooden paddle.

This message was edited by Whifty on 3-13-18 @ 4:27 PM

Whifty    -- 03-13-2018 @ 4:26 PM
  photo 2

MG    -- 03-13-2018 @ 5:53 PM
  WOW! Given the photos you've posted, that certainly did turn out nice. Is this your first time use of that 3M Di-Noc stuff? Were the instructions that came with it pretty explicit? Frankly, I have never heard of it before....

1937sedandelivery    -- 03-13-2018 @ 6:59 PM
  Oh yeah, very nice 37 Standard dash. I want to make mine look like that. Definitely interested in further information on this thread.
Thanks,
gregg

Whifty    -- 03-13-2018 @ 7:19 PM
  This is the first time I've ever used it. It's really pretty easy to use but it can be tedious. that's why it's best to have a helper. The trick is to lay it on the part then heat it to stretch out, which removes the bubbles you may get. It stretches easy and doesn't distort the woodgrain. The reverse side is super adhesive but is easily removed with heat. I almost wished I had gotten the Bubinga because it is already glossy. Send for samples first. The photos don't do it justice, it looks like real wood in person.

I bought it from:

https://www.metrorestyling.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=di-noc&Submit=GO

Whifty    -- 03-13-2018 @ 7:31 PM
  installation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3A8rEgzJus

MG    -- 03-13-2018 @ 9:13 PM
  Gotta be careful with that Exacto Knife. Did you do your dash while it was in the car or was it out of the car?....

Oops...I see now from your pictures that your dash was removed from the car when you covered it....

This message was edited by MG on 3-13-18 @ 9:15 PM

ibshane    -- 03-13-2018 @ 10:36 PM
  Looks great..., Beautiful job!!

trjford8    -- 03-14-2018 @ 8:45 AM
  Very nice job. As I recall Di-Noc has been a round for some time.

voced    -- 03-15-2018 @ 7:10 AM
  What size did you start with that gave you plenty to use. Was it easy to install?
Thanks,
Jerry

Whifty    -- 03-15-2018 @ 12:06 PM
  I bought two 48x48 sheets because I did all the window moldings too. I still have about a 2½ foot section left over that I will use on my Model A dash. Like I said It's easy but tedious to do it by yourself.

kirkstad    -- 03-15-2018 @ 2:32 PM
  Beautiful job for sure! I think that using the two coats of gloss was also helpful in giving it the depth and realism, that you may not have gotten by just using the bubinga.

3w2    -- 03-15-2018 @ 3:37 PM
  3M Di-Noc has been around a long, long time.

Ford Country Squire wagons came with it once real wood was no longer used and before vinyl technology evolved to make it the better choice.

I used it on a '32 dash more than 50 years ago.

Shark    -- 03-16-2018 @ 5:38 PM
  mine was done by a process called " hydro-dip". You have a tank of warm water big enough for the part you are doing. Lay the sheet of wood grain on the water. spray the activator on and slowly dip the part in. I checked Grain It, to expensive to experiment with. The shop that painted my car included it with the paint job. I'll try to post pics

40cpe    -- 03-16-2018 @ 6:27 PM
  hydro-dipping looks interesting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs_xQyjWQcY

Whifty    -- 03-16-2018 @ 7:38 PM
  I did my '65 Falcon dash with hyro-dip carbon fiber, it came out nice. I used the Di-Noc on the '37 because it is tough stuff. You can throw rocks at it and it won't hurt it.

kirkstad    -- 03-17-2018 @ 8:34 AM
  I thought hydro dipping was a very expensive process and the whole idea of using di-noc was to be able to do it your self and keep the cost down?

Reconnoiter1    -- 03-19-2018 @ 6:59 PM
  Hydro-dipping is not very expensive if doing it yourself. You can buy a complete kit with enough product/materials to do an entire car (dash and all window moldings) for under $200. I got my kit at www.mydipkit.com and it has been working out quite well as I restore my 34 Fordor Sedan. There is a learning curve so you will waste some materials at first, but the end product is so beautiful, and there are tons of videos on youtube to help. Here is a pic of my dash done in burlwood dark maple, the picture is not that great but believe me the finish is extremely nice with the buffed/polished clearcoat, and the pattern and color is a very close match to original.

This message was edited by Reconnoiter1 on 3-19-18 @ 8:08 PM

kirkstad    -- 03-20-2018 @ 4:29 PM
  Thank you for that website, had no idea you could get kits like these.Your dash came out fantastic.I would like to do my dash also.What did you use for a dipping pan?,I suppose it would have to be at least 4 ft. across.

Reconnoiter1    -- 03-20-2018 @ 6:42 PM
  I did the dash in the bathtub, cleaned up any mess before my wife had any idea...lol As for the window moldings, I am using large rectangular plastic storage bins. I may have to do the stealth bathtub method again for the rear window molding though...

This message was edited by Reconnoiter1 on 3-20-18 @ 6:43 PM

kirkstad    -- 03-21-2018 @ 8:55 AM
  Thank you,great idea, never thought of the bath tub and I'm pretty sure I can get away with it.Just one other ques. if you don't mind, did you do the glove box separate or was it attached?
Thank's again.
Frank

Reconnoiter1    -- 03-21-2018 @ 5:12 PM
  Dash was completely disassembled. Both the ashtray and glove box door were done separately. Knobs were removed, couldn't avoid getting some water inside the glove box door though, so after completion I made sure to let it air out well and dry outside in the sun.

kirkstad    -- 03-22-2018 @ 3:38 PM
  Thank You for the reply.Best of luck restoring your 34

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11736