Topic: "Hot Start" diode

sarahcecelia    -- 03-06-2018 @ 2:58 PM
  Where can I purchase the diode, and what is it's elecrical value, or part number for the direct voltage wire from my battery to my coil when for more volts to my coil when starting. P.S. I do not have a Radio Shack in my area; they all closed down a couple of years ago.

Regards, Steve Lee

cliftford    -- 03-06-2018 @ 9:17 PM
  I used a diode from Mac's, A10155D10. It is used to convert the gen. cutout to solid state on 3 brush gens. I used a small hose clamp to fasten a wire to the outside sh*ll so it would have an in and out conductor. Of course cover it with tape so it doesn't short out to the block.

TomO    -- 03-07-2018 @ 6:59 AM
  While the "Hot Start" diode does work, it is not necessary in a properly operating ignition system for the 1932-1953 Ford products. If you are not having problems, I would advise you to not use the diode circuit as it could fail and make diagnosing the failure difficult and mask other inefficiencies in the ignition system. If you are having problems starting your engine, I would advise you to diagnose the problem and fix it, as the diode will mask the inefficient operation of the engine.

Tom

supereal    -- 03-08-2018 @ 12:31 PM
  While I agree with my friend Tom, The intent of the "quick start" system is to compensate for the drop caused by the starter. This loss can be due to a battery weakened by age or limited use which slows the recharge of the battery, or by the condition of the starter motor, itself. If the input to the coil falls below three volts necessary to produce a strong spark at the plugs, continued cranking will further reduce the available power. A sign of these conditions is when the engine starts just as the starter button is released. I certainly endorse keeping the ignition system in top shape with points, condenser, rotor and cap, ballast resistor, wiring, and the ignition switch in like new condition, including the starter, but realize than many don't do the necessary maintenance themselves, or have a convenient garage to do it. If you have no, or limited, hot or cold starting problems, I wouldn't bother with the circuit either.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11723