Topic: coolant

flathead48    -- 05-01-2010 @ 6:30 AM
  The best antifreeze to use in 59 AB Thanks

TomO    -- 05-01-2010 @ 6:55 AM
  I use Sierra because it foams less than the other anti-freeze and if a small leak develops, it will not damage the engine. I also drain it every summer and use distilled water with a rust inhibitor during the warm weather.

Any of the other antifreeze solutions will work in your engine or you can run with water in the summer like I do.

Tom

supereal    -- 05-01-2010 @ 8:47 AM
  If you run with plain water in the summer, be sure to add a container of anti rust to protect the system.

47Fordor    -- 05-02-2010 @ 5:36 AM
  I always put a bottle of water pump lubricant in the coolant. I'm not sure if it's absolutely necessary but an old Ford guy I know swears by it on both the cars and the N tractors. Only negative is that it IS oil and can give you a start when you look in the radiator: oil in coolant is normally a BAD sign.

Chris

supereal    -- 05-02-2010 @ 8:54 AM
  The principal part of the solution is to lessen the erosion of the interior of the cast iron block. The secondary purpose is to lubricate the seal surface in the water pumps. These seals are held by spring force, and ride on a thin film of coolant. The shaft bushings are lubed thru a passage from the timing gear cover, and the "new, improved" pumps have sealed double ball bearings that need no oiling.

flathead48    -- 05-03-2010 @ 4:51 AM
  Thanks to all for the advice. Does any one know who sells Sierra? Thanks again Rick

supereal    -- 05-03-2010 @ 6:03 AM
  It is widely available at most parts stores and farm suppliers, etc. I haven't seen it at Walmart around here. It retails for about $9/gallon. Follow the dilution directions, as it is a bit different than the usual ethylene glycol.

flathead48    -- 05-03-2010 @ 3:19 PM
  Thanks again.

47Fordor    -- 05-03-2010 @ 3:44 PM
  The only place that I've been able to find Sierra around here is NAPA, although I haven't checked most of the parts stores. I know the local farm store doesn't have it.

Chris

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1170