Topic: 1937 tudor owners

Shark    -- 02-26-2018 @ 6:51 PM
  Can someone tell me the name of the brown paint color on the lower pivot arms of the front seat backrest. Is it in the 37 book. Thanks Bruce

1937sedandelivery    -- 02-27-2018 @ 7:14 AM
  I didn't even know/realize that the arms were brown, mine are black but I inherited the seat and don't have good history on it. If the color is indeed brown, it could be rustic brown. I did some research on this color awhile ago and found a PPG paint color that very closely matches. There is a thread on the Forum that describes it, lots of dialogue about Rustic Brown.
gregg

Whifty    -- 02-27-2018 @ 6:13 PM
  Mine were also brown and I think it is Autumn Brown:

http://paintref.com/graphics/chip/ford_1937__acme_c_01.jpg

The closest that I have found is 1972 T-Bird Dark Brown which is readily available:

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?type=paint&paint=15466&ditzler=2407&syear=1972&smanuf=Ford&smodel=Thunderbird&sname=Dark%20Brown&rows=50

Shark    -- 02-27-2018 @ 6:17 PM
  Gegg, I found that thread. I also called Roy Nacewicz. He had the paint numbers, but it was acryilic laquer. I dont have the experience to spray them. Im going to rattle can them. He said the color is somewhere between UPS brown and a hershey bar. lol Bruce

1937sedandelivery    -- 02-27-2018 @ 6:26 PM
  Shark, like you, I don't use my spray gun very much. For the rustic brown that I needed, the PPG paint shop provided a service to fill a rattle can with your color of choice. I bought a pint and got a couple of spray cans out of it. It wasn't real cheap, maybe $25 a can, but it was enough and convenient for me. I used it to spray things like the steering column and spare tire cover.
gregg

Shark    -- 02-28-2018 @ 6:47 PM
  Our napa store offers this service. Im going to take the courtesy light bezel in tomorrow. they can check the color with a color scanner gun, and put it in a rattle can. Ill let you know how it turns out. Bruce

1937sedandelivery    -- 02-28-2018 @ 7:35 PM
  Cool, please keep me in the loop. Attached are some pics of the dome light & switch I restored.
gregg

Shark    -- 03-03-2018 @ 5:50 PM
  Stopped at Napa, they need a 4" x 4" flat piece to be able to scan the color. also stopped at Advance Auto. Same answer.

Shark    -- 03-10-2018 @ 7:53 PM
  Went to Motor Service in town. They are a PPG dealer. Got the closest brown I could. They mixed the paint and put the reducer in. They also set me up with a spray system. Its called Preval. It comes with an aerosol canister and a glass jar. worked out good for the brown on my front seat. I also did the bezels for my dome lights. got a couple runs, so Im going to do them over. I had to add the hardener. I found the spray kit cheaper at Home Depot. If anyone wants the color recipe I can give it to them. Bruce

1937sedandelivery    -- 03-10-2018 @ 8:30 PM
  Hey Bruce,
I am interested in the color recipe you ended up with. I may go back and repaint my brackets. You can PM if you want.
Thanks,
gregg

Shark    -- 03-11-2018 @ 5:20 PM
  Did my dome light bezels again. They didnt turn out the way I wanted. Used the Preval spray system. Not to pleased with the results. Spit and sputtered the paint so I stripped them off again, and used my compressor and a Harbor Freight gun. Looks great. Not going to bash the Preval System. Just thought I would share my experience with both. Hope this helps someone Bruce

TomO    -- 03-12-2018 @ 7:47 AM
  The Preval system does not like the solvents used in the modern paints. The solvents attack the plastics and the results are what you got. The Harbor Freight guns can have the same problem.

Tom

Shark    -- 03-12-2018 @ 7:11 PM
  My dome light bezels are steel. They turned out pretty good

Shark    -- 03-13-2018 @ 6:55 PM
  TomO. I misunderstood you about the plastic. I thought you were talking about the bezels being plastic. In all fairness to Preval System, I could of had a canister that was low on pressure. Anyway nothing ventured, nothing gained. Bruce

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11697