Topic: Drum brake upgrade?

ibshane    -- 02-25-2018 @ 2:04 AM
  My '37 Fordor was at some point converted to juice brakes. They look to be the '39 configuration?
Is there any way of enhancing the braking ability of these brakes short of replacing them with a bendix style self-energizing set up?

TomO    -- 02-25-2018 @ 7:20 AM
  You should be able to lock all 4 wheels with the 39 - 48 Lockheed brakes.

Some things to check are glazed shoes, glazed drums, wrong friction material and incorrect adjustment.

len47merc recommends
Brake Materials & Parts, Inc.
Fort Wayne, IN
(260) 426-3331
Scott

for the correct friction material.

Since power brakes and dic brake became the majority and asbestos was banned, the materials supplied by some vendors do not work correctly.

Tom

supereal    -- 03-03-2018 @ 2:29 PM
  Have all brake drums inspected to see if they are scored or otherwise damaged. If the surface is not flat across the entire interior, they should be give a light cut on a brake lathe. The recommended limit of recutting should not exceed .060. Due to the cost of new drums, we find many exceed that amount, but still give adequate brakes if the linings on the shoes are fitted to the diameter of the drum. To determine contact, put chalk on the lining (we us the blue carpenter's chalk line type), install the drum gently apple the brakes, then examine the face of the shoes to determine the contact area. As "acring" equipment is now rare, you can fit the shoes with care on belt sander. until you get good contact.

flatheadfan    -- 03-04-2018 @ 1:07 PM
  Assuming that the brakes are mechanically "sound." I would add a vacuum booster. A '54-'57 Ford vacuum booster is an easy add-on using existing frame holes. I have done this to my '35 ('47 brakes), and have some super stoppers that rival my newer daily drivers.

Tom

flatheadfan    -- 03-04-2018 @ 1:13 PM
  The following diagram shows a power brake system used by GM (similar to what Ford used).

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11694