Topic: Mechanical Brakes

jefferey    -- 02-24-2018 @ 1:22 PM
  Hi
My question is on mechanical brake adjustment. I cannot find much on this procedure. With it jacked up you tighten the top adjuster until it starts to drag ,then back it off to spin freely. Is there a lock on this square head and which way is tighten. It seems simple, but I want it correct.

Thanks, Jefferey

Thank you

Jefferey

3w2    -- 02-24-2018 @ 4:59 PM
  There's not lock on the studs, but the notches on the ends engage the pointed-end studs attached to the brake shoes and hold the adjustment. The threads on the stud are conventional RH threads so if you turn the adjustment stud clockwise you'll tightening the adjustment.

jefferey    -- 02-25-2018 @ 4:53 AM
  Thank you for this info. Thanks to knowledgeable people like you, I can keep my 36 going !

Jefferey

Thank you

Jefferey

1937sedandelivery    -- 02-26-2018 @ 8:44 PM
  Hello,
I recently completely restored the brakes on my 37. The adjustment procedure is spelled out nicely in the 1937 Reference Manual. I can share some of that with you if needed. After adjusting my new brake setup, I find that it behaves as expected, it takes some pedal pressure, but nothing pulls left or right. Not sure if 36 is the same as 37.
gregg

supereal    -- 02-28-2018 @ 1:43 PM
  The first step in adjusting mechanical brakes is to synchronize the individual rods. With the pedal held hlf way down by a wooden block between the pedal and the front seat. adjust the clevis at the backing plates until the shoes just contact the drums with the adjusters fully backed off and the clevis will allow the pin to be replaced without moving the backing plate lever. Release the pedal block and adjust each brake assembly at the wheels until the shoes just contact the drum. This should provide ample pedal travel to lock all brakes. If additional travel is needed, adjust the link between the pedal and the cross shaft.

This message was edited by supereal on 2-28-18 @ 1:45 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11692