Topic: leaky head studs

fwjrodv8    -- 02-23-2018 @ 6:41 PM
  Can helically coil inserts be used on flathead blocks?

MG    -- 02-23-2018 @ 7:33 PM
  Yes....

TomO    -- 02-24-2018 @ 7:15 AM
  That is not a good way to fix the leaky head studs. First get quality studs from a supplier like Roy Nacewicz. Second, use a thread chaser to clean the threads in the block and third use a sealant like Permatex in the thread hole.

If the threads are stripped, have the machine shop install a thread insert. They seal better than a helicoil.

Tom

42wagon    -- 02-24-2018 @ 10:36 AM
  Well its not a V8 but I stripped a thread in a Model A block getting a broken stud out. When I sent the engine to be rebuilt some sort of thread insert was installed by the shop. Whether the name is Helicoil or something else makes no difference. Bottom line is that the repaired stud thread is working just fine. This is a job that I would not recommend doing yourself if you want it to be successful.

fwjrodv8    -- 02-24-2018 @ 3:49 PM
  Thanks for the replies to my question on the leaky studs; I was concern how well the helical inserts would seal. Fortunately, their is a reputable machine shop that works on ford flatheads within 30 miles; Your replies were helpful; reminded me of shop nearby. Thanks again.

TomO    -- 02-25-2018 @ 7:29 AM
  The thread inserts that were installed for me, have the original type threads for the studs on the inside of a cylinder, the outside als0 has threads.The hole is drilled oversized, taped to the thread pitch for the insert. then outside threads of the insert are coated with a thread lock material and the insert is scr*w*d into the block. These provide a better thread seal than a helicoil.

Tom

supereal    -- 02-28-2018 @ 1:54 PM
  Proper HeliCoil installation requires experience. It is easy to ruin a block if not done properly. At our machine shop, too often we are asked to remedy a botched job. Old cast iron is fragile. That is most often the reason the threads failed in the first place.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11691