Topic: 34 Horns

jretter    -- 02-15-2018 @ 6:21 PM
  I would like to get smarter about horns for the early Fords. I have a 34 Deluxe and plan to use original horns. I have the correct housings for a 34, plus a couple of 35 or 36 horns, judging from the shape of the projector. I suspect the motors are pretty much all the same, but I don't really know(?). Were the horn pairs for deluxe cars "tuned" in the sense that their frequency was adjusted to produce different but harmonized pitches? Finally, what is the best way to adapt them to a 12V system?

juergen    -- 02-16-2018 @ 9:23 AM
  The motors are pretty much all the same. Prior to 1939 they had two leads; one connected to the battery and the other going to the steering column to be grounded. In 39 (or was it 38?) Ford used a relay to power the horns where by the relay was energized through grounding the horn button and then the relay sent power through the single wire to the horns which was grounded through the horn to the frame. You can use either horn motor if you power and ground properly.

The horn tuning consisted of adding extra weight to one of the horn diaphram to drastically change the sound. You can fine tune the sound by adjusting the gap on the points.

The only way I got to get them to work on 12 volts was to use a motor from a 12 volt unit. It would take a nichrome resistor capable of handling 10 amps to work or a 6 to 12 volt convertor of the same capacity.

1934 Ford    -- 02-16-2018 @ 12:04 PM
  When I added Deluxe cowl lamps, a second horn, a second tail light, chrome windshield frame, woodgraining and a cigar lighter to our 34 Fordor, I bought the second horn from Drake. Now I can't tell you which one is the Repro. It's possible he has them in 12 Volt too.
I made my jewel on the cigar lighter into the turn signal flasher indicator. The bad thing was I couldn't see it behind the steering wheel and had to add a horrible 6V buzzer. Now I can't wait to get around the corner.

1934 Ford's since 1972

TomO    -- 02-17-2018 @ 8:56 AM
  Actually changing the point gap makes very little difference in the tone. Changing the armature gap will make more difference. The points should be adjusted so that .005" will open them.

The horns will work on 12 volts, they will be almost 2 times as loud. I have no idea of how long they will last operated on 12 volts, but have seen cars converted many years ago still using the 6 volt horns. I am still convinced that changing to 12 volts is not a good idea.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 2-17-18 @ 8:59 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11666