Topic: Post War reproduction ignition wires

Early46    -- 02-03-2018 @ 3:45 PM
  Has anyone had problems with the reproduction ignition wires for 46-48 cars (Brown wires) cracking the outer insulation when bending them?
The set I have is very stiff and a real pain to get into the distributor (Rabbit Ear style), and have numerous cracks!
Set that was removed from the car was black rubber and still in fairly good condition, but it was a replacement at some point since 46!

Thanks

51woodie    -- 03-07-2018 @ 12:46 PM
  I purchased a set of these wires from DC, for my '46 with the rabbit ear style distributor, and had the same problem, with the outer brown covering cracking. This happened mostly where the wires had to be sharply bent where they go into the inner cap. I also purchased a 59-A12105 outer cap from DC, and the container states "Made in India". When I tried to feed the plug wires through the outer cap from the inside to mate the outer/inner caps, the sharp edges on the inside of the openings were catching on the wires covering and would not let the wires pass through without cutting into the brown insulation, and I could not get the outer cap to set down on the inner cap. I pulled the wires out, and used a Dremel tool and small burr to round the sharp edges and taper the entry of the openings. I also ground some material away (+/- 1/8") from both openings on the side facing the outer lip of the cap. After chamfering the edges and removing the said material, I lubed the inner 6" of the plug wires with dielectric grease to help the wires make the sharp bend going through the outer cap, and assembly went okay after that. I also paid close attention to how the wires were laid in the old cap assembly.

woodiewagon46    -- 03-07-2018 @ 2:22 PM
  As a safety measure, I would place a piece of shrink tubing on the areas that have cracked wires.

TomO    -- 03-08-2018 @ 7:17 AM
  I would complain to the vendor. They need to know that the product is not satisfactory.

Tom

Early46    -- 03-08-2018 @ 7:33 AM
  Both the seller and distributor (DC) were notified with not much results. Manufacturer in Oregon was contacted also but no response.
We found that a little heat helped in forming the wires, but still got occasional splitting of the insulation. Putting heat shrink on is not really an option due to the very tight turns the wires need to make at the distributor cap.
We have given up on the reproduction harness and built our own using good solid core 7 mm rubber insulated wire.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11621