Topic: 37 drive shaft removal help

1937sedandelivery    -- 02-02-2018 @ 12:38 PM
  Hello,
I plan to sandblast and paint my 37 rear end. The entire assembly is out of the car. Thus far I have removed the torque tube and radius rods. The actual drive shaft looks to be secured via an inline coupling and two pins. I lightly tapped them, no budge. These are pressed in? How best to remove them?
Next will be to remove the front "stuff" on the front of the housing. A couple large nuts, etc. Is this procedure documented anywhere? It looks intimidating.
Worse case I could just remove the driveshaft and cover up the front "stuff" before sandblasting. I don't want to get into this too much yet. For example, don't want to remove the axle tubs and internal gears. If it ain't broke don't fix it!
I will be pulling off the drums and backing plates. There is some good info on this site regarding how to do that and what tools to use, so I think I am good there.
Appreciate any advice.
gregg

ford38v8    -- 02-02-2018 @ 1:54 PM
  Gregg, without going into too much detail you don't need, I can tell you to reinstall the torque tube and mask off the front of the torque tube and driveshaft before sandblast. Do not risk getting media inside where it will cause damage. The axles and outer ends of the axle housing should also be masked. If you intend to go for point judging with new (unpainted) gaskets, I'd suggest that you do the blast & paint first, then replace gaskets.

Alan

kubes40    -- 02-02-2018 @ 4:07 PM
  I'm with Alan on this one. Unless you are restoring the assembly like I do my cars, leave it as Alan suggested.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

1937sedandelivery    -- 02-02-2018 @ 5:40 PM
  OK Guys,
I am all for keeping it simple, will put it back together. The whole reason for disassembly was to make it lighter and more manageable to drag it around. I can deal with it. At this point I don't plan to have it judged, but want it to be as stock as possible. Good point on the unpainted gasket. I should be able to manage that.
Thanks for the quick responses, off to the sandblast place tomorrow.
gregg

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11616