Topic: 1947 ford coupe with broken key in lock

stangfan    -- 01-31-2018 @ 11:47 AM
  customer called me to remove broken key in steering lock on column with a switch as well. I'm a locksmith and my customer told me to check if I could remove a broken key from the steering wheel lock that also blocks a push button switch to start the engine. The key is in the vertical position with the cuts facing downwards. It doesn't seem to turn either way (clockwise or couterclockwise) and the key pulls out very slightly as if it was turned halfway and snapped at the shoulder.
Can anyone confirm which way the key should be and if the lock can be dismantled with a broken key in it ?
Thank you for your time

cliftford    -- 01-31-2018 @ 3:26 PM
  I'm no locksmith, but on my '47 when the key is in that position, it is unlocked, and the part that unlocks the steering is out about 1/4"past the lock body. maybe someone else will chime in.

rg130    -- 02-02-2018 @ 9:43 AM
  I have a 47 Ford and have had my ignition lock/switch apart. I'm not a locksmith. The way my lock works is as follows. With the cylinder lock in the locked position the key may be inserted with the cuts facing up. The key is turned/rotated counterclock wise 180 degrees to unlock the steering wheel cylinder. The ignition switch lever may now be pushed up allowing the car to start when the starter button is pressed. In this position the key cuts are facing downward and the key can not be removed.

If there is enough key left for you to grab with pliers, etc. you may be able to turn/rotate the key clockwise 180 degrees and then remove it. As you attempt to do this feel the steering wheel to determine if you can take some pressure off the cylinder lock by slight turning the wheel one way or the other. This should allow the key to rotate and be removed. If this does not work you will have to remove the pin under the lock cylinder to get the lock out. This pin may be drilled out carefully to not damage the housing or the lock. Use a small drill and go slow. Once the pin is out the lock will slide out. When you replace the lock use a set screw instead of the pin. Attached is a photo of an ignition lock. Hope this helps.

GK1918    -- 02-03-2018 @ 3:48 AM
  Note: buyer beware. I had the same problem and totally destroyed the cylinder. Bought a new key and lock cylinder. total junk bought another same thing made in Argentina junk. Problem is that little
wheel when key is turned to unlock the steering is not drilled and tapped correctly. Should have bought two lottery loser tickets. So I drive with just a gutted out dummy cylinder in there with no key until
I find a NOS one...........sam

trjford8    -- 02-04-2018 @ 7:57 AM
  NOS ones are out there. Put a want ad on this site and also check the V-8 Times services section for people who do lock repair. Also use you roster and check with Michael Driskell in Tennessee who sells a lot of NOS parts. He may have one. Some time back you could also get them from Dennis Carpenter.

stangfan    -- 02-06-2018 @ 1:19 PM
  thank you rg30 for your tip. Idid manage to get the broken key out by turning the cylinder back to it's original position.
Now I'm trying to get the cylinder out because the key I made doesn't work. I' ve decoded the key from the broken part that I removed. Cut it on my electronic key machine to the manufacture's specs. And it won't turn so I think the tumblers inside might be damaged from the pulling I did and whoever else tried before me.
Can you tell me how to get it out of the column ? Does the key have to be at a certain position to pull it out ? Worst case scenario ,I' ll drop the broken one back in to rotate it if necessary to turn it at 2 o' clock for example. Thanks for your picture of the lock you sent. For your info, the code number stamped on the lock casing: Ican make a key from this number on my electronic machine.

MG    -- 02-06-2018 @ 1:40 PM
  Never mind....my previous post....

This message was edited by MG on 2-7-18 @ 10:36 AM

39 Ken    -- 02-07-2018 @ 4:58 AM
  The broken key may not have been the correct key. Maybe broken when someone tried to force it when it wouldn't work.
In my 1939, the same key operates the glove box lock and the trunk lock. I don't know if Ford continued that practice in '47. If they did, then you could remove the lock from your glove box to get the proper code from which you can have a correct key made.
Ken

len47merc    -- 02-07-2018 @ 5:18 AM
  In 47 the ignition key and trunk lock key were different. As I recall, and without checking it to validate, I believe the ignition key and glove box key are the same though.

Steve

Bill E Bob    -- 02-07-2018 @ 6:55 AM
  Ignition and door locks on my '47 Fordor use the same key. Glove box and trunk, a different key.
(yes, I went out to the garage to verify)

cliftford    -- 02-07-2018 @ 7:33 AM
  Bill E Bob is correct. If the door locks are original, try cutting a key to fit them. It just might work in the ignition. good luck.

rg130    -- 02-07-2018 @ 9:12 AM
  Stangfan

Congratulations on getting the key out. As others have mentioned the key you took out may not be the correct one. The door locks and ignition were originally keyed the same. If you have a working door key try it in the ignition. It may work depending on the condition of the key and the lock. Then again it may have been changed over the last 70 plus years.

To remove the ignition lock you first need to remove the set pin which is located in the column drop under the lock. If you don't see the pin use some sand paper to clean the surface. It is usually easy to identify. The pin goes into the lock itself and holds it in place. You can carefully drill out the pin without damaging the lock. Another method is to drill a small hole in the pin, tap it , insert a screw and pull the pin out. This method should prevent damage to the lock. Once removed you can read the code on the lock and make a new key. It does not matter if the key is in the lock or not to remove the lock. Simply remove the pin and the lock should slide out.

stangfan    -- 02-07-2018 @ 2:59 PM
  unfortunately, the glove box key is different from the ignition and I tried it just in case but no go. I cut spares of the glove box on my electronic machine and they work in the glove box very well. That' s why I beleive the tumblers may have some damage in the ignition lock. Which brings me back to removing the ignition lock from the steering column without damaging it further. Thanks for answering.

stangfan    -- 02-07-2018 @ 3:06 PM
  Door locks don't seem to be in working order. The keys from the ignition and glove box can't be inserted all the way, not even half way so they are probably cemented from calcium from way back. Thanks for your reply. Do you know how to remove the ignition lock from the column switch without drilling it out ?

stangfan    -- 02-07-2018 @ 3:18 PM
  thanks for your input rg30, it is valuable, I will go back tomorrow or friday and try it. I' ll keep you posted on my progress.
Thanks again guys.

39 Ken    -- 02-07-2018 @ 4:10 PM
  There's some confusion here. Probably some on my part.

We're talking broken ignition key which was removed
from the ignition lock. Trying the glove box key won't do the
job as it is not the same as the ignition key.

The door lock should be the same tumbler as the ignition tumbler.

I would not try to remove the ignition lock as it is a complicated matter.
I would remove the door lock from the door.

There is a set screw inside the edge of the door
next to the door lock; probably beneath the door seal. It will be either a
flat blade screw or an allen head screw. Remove that screw and the lock
can be pulled out from the door. There should be a code on that tumbler
Cut a key from that and try that in the ignition lock. It should work.
Ken

TomO    -- 02-08-2018 @ 8:33 AM
  I would used plenty of penetrating oil on the door lock set screw and let it soak in for a couple of days, before trying to remove the set screw. While you are waiting for thr set screw to free up, do the same for the tumblers in the door locks. This will probably free them up. Try the key that you made from the code on the ignition key in the door lock.

Tom

stangfan    -- 02-12-2018 @ 7:02 AM
  Thanks a lot guys for your help. I managed to get the ignition locking pin out and retreived the lock. The code was accurate to the key I made but the tumblers were damaged as I feared. I brought it home and took it apart and replaced the pin tumblers and got it to work. I'm going back to the customer's today to put it back in the column. It's been nice chating with you. I' ll take a picture of the car when I' m finished and I'll post it for you.

stangfan    -- 02-13-2018 @ 6:58 AM
  Here is the picture of the '47 coupe I worked on. I was told that it's going for sale. Interested parties ? Let me know and I
will connect you with the owner. You can e-mail me at flexible @qc.aira.com

whittakerturbeville    -- 01-12-2022 @ 10:49 AM
  How do you break a key in a lock? That's weird.

alaynenadelbach    -- 01-13-2022 @ 5:11 AM
  The key could be stuck because he pushed too hard on it. The best thing to do is replace the lock, not try to get the key out.

jeremiahquellette    -- 01-14-2022 @ 7:36 AM
  If the key is stuck upright, the person should have no problem getting it out. Maybe your customer applied too much physical force when he tried to turn the key, and it just bent the metal. I would have stuck the lock cylinder out and tried to get the key out of the lock by outside means. I'm not a locksmith, so I've never encountered this problem. However, my friend called a locksmith when his key got stuck in the lock, and he broke it in half when he was trying to get it out of the lock. That locksmith installed another lock.

This message was edited by jeremiahquellette on 1-17-22 @ 4:41 AM

alanwoodieman    -- 01-14-2022 @ 7:57 AM
  look on the bottom of the column bracket, you will see a pin, you can remove the whole lock by removing this pin, very carefully drill a small in the pin to insert a machine screw, with a flat washer and this crew you can make a puller to remove pin and then the lock cylinder will come out of the assembly

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11613