Topic: repainting 36 coup original black color

kirkstad    -- 01-28-2018 @ 11:12 AM
  I plan to repaint my 36 coupe original color black myself.I would prefer to use a single stage and not basecoat clearcoat..I notice most of the new cars painted black today have a grayish or brownish tint to them compared to what is still on good areas of my car.I hear adding a blue tint helps.Would it help if my black be computer scanned,is that feasible?Any painters out there who do their own work know what I"m talking about?
Thank You
Frank

kubes40    -- 01-28-2018 @ 12:23 PM
  Frank,
Black is one of the most difficult "colors" to match.
There is nothing wrong with using single stage paint. I would STRONGLY advise you purchase high quality paint and high quality prep materials as well.
If the paint seems to cheap, it will most likely not hold up well to sun, etc.

Bottom line? If you're repainting the entire car, go to the local automotive paint supply store and choose a black you like.

If your eyes detect a gray or brown tint, most likely it is not truly a "black' car you are looking at. Or, I hate to suggest it, perhaps your eyesight is not once it once was.
Many, in fact most folks, believe my new Silverado is black when in fact it is distinctly Dark Pewter.
Statistically, men, more so than women, have color recognition issues - especially as we age.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 1-28-18 @ 12:25 PM

kirkstad    -- 01-29-2018 @ 8:04 AM
  Thank You for the reply and info. "Kube",I'll take your advice.

3w2    -- 01-29-2018 @ 7:27 PM
  Our experience with single stage blacks is that none are as black as the PPG product.

kirkstad    -- 01-30-2018 @ 11:21 AM
  WOW......That's what I'm talking about,beautiful! Thank you for the reply and info.I'll see if I can find a supplier.Most suppliers on the N. East Coast sell Sherwin Williams auto finishes.

TomO    -- 01-31-2018 @ 9:36 AM
  PPG sells more than one single stage paint. Which one did you use?

Tom

kirkstad    -- 01-31-2018 @ 1:05 PM
  I haven't located a PPG dealer yet Tom,The black in the picture 3w2 sent looked great, but he didn't give any info on it other than it being PPG. It did look great.

3w2    -- 01-31-2018 @ 4:48 PM
  I'll have to ask the painter.

Ihateoldcars    -- 01-31-2018 @ 8:39 PM
  I have used PPG Concept 9300 single stage black on a few cars. I would describe it as a "blue-black". It's a very "pure" black.

kirkstad    -- 02-03-2018 @ 7:20 AM
  Thank You for that PPG info, now I know at least what to ask for when I find a dealer!
Frank

TomO    -- 02-03-2018 @ 9:48 AM
  You may not be able to buy that paint, I believe that it was discontinued. I have no idea what the replacement is.

Why don't you purchase a small quantity of the Sherwin Williams black single stage urethane and a small quantity of their Acrylic enamel and them spray a couple of coats on a sheet of metal with dark gray primer. You may find that one of them will suit your purpose.

The urethane should be color sanded and then polished. I am not sure if the SW Acrylic enamel can be color sanded, but paint polish can bring out more shine.

Tom

kirkstad    -- 02-04-2018 @ 11:32 AM
  Your right Tom, I'll have to try your suggestion.The new EPA regulations are eliminating many finishes that were on the market.Does any one know if the urethane paints and the acrylic enamels are ok to spray without a paint booth?I hear these new paints can be very toxic, What about the water base paints? I'm used to spraying the old straight enamels and lacquers,did all my model A's I have restored that way years ago.I just turned 72 so I probably should just prepare the car for paint,find a good shop and hope for the best!I just like doing my own work,getting harder to do these days.
Thank You!
Frank

TomO    -- 02-04-2018 @ 2:31 PM
  The urethane paints should be sprayed in a booth and you should wear protective clothing and use outside air. The Acrylic Enamels without a hardener should be sprayed in a booth and you need lung protection. If you use a hardener, you will need protective clothing as well.

Finding someone that will just spray the final coat could be a problem. Taking responsibility for the final job, when you don't know how it was prepped is a big gamble.

I don't know anything about the current water based coatings.

Tom

kirkstad    -- 02-05-2018 @ 9:35 AM
  Thank you Tom for the info.
Frank

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11604