Topic: 1940 steering box removal

Hrussell8750    -- 01-24-2018 @ 10:57 AM
  Can anyone tell me where I can find information on removing the steering box from a 1940 Ford Standard. I have checked the Green Bible and was no help. I can only find how to adjust them. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Thank you

Thank You, Harry Russell

kubes40    -- 01-24-2018 @ 12:34 PM
  It's a fairly straight forward process.
I am assuming you are doing some type of repair?
You'll need to remove the horn button after disconnecting the wire at the end of the gear box. Remove the steering wheel, the shift lever, the wiring from the ignition switch and the floor board. Remove the two bolts that fasten the steering column drop to the instrument panel nearly all the way (for now).
Disconnect the linkage from the two shift levers beneath the hood. I'd suggest you get the chassis as high off the ground, safely of course, as you possibly can. If a lift is available - great!
Remove the left engine pan, pitman arm and the three bolts / nuts that fasten the gear to the frame rail.
At this time, completely remove those two bolts between the column drop and instrument panel.

Now comes the fun part - remove the steering gear. You may find it easier if someone helps from within the passenger compartment while you manipulate the assembly from beneath the car. It'll come out of there but requires a bit of patience with the manipulation required.
If your spring is sagging, you may find it necessary to lift the body / frame up a bit while you allow the front chassis to hang. That gives you a little more room between the axle and gear housing.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Hrussell8750    -- 01-24-2018 @ 12:40 PM
  Mike, again you have provided great instructions how to repair an item, Thank You

trjford8    -- 01-24-2018 @ 2:01 PM
  In addition to Mike's advice be sure to put covers on your seats or any other upholstery. As with all jobs that greasy, sure as heck you will get some on the upholstery if you don't cover it.

Hrussell8750    -- 01-25-2018 @ 1:53 PM
  Good advice thank you

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11595