Topic: 36 Ford Cabriolet

Pete    -- 04-27-2010 @ 3:39 PM
  I have discovered that the title vin and the frame vin on this vehicle are different,yet the body/frame attaching points do not look like the body and frame were ever separated. The frame vin uses characters of a non descript nature like it starts with (I82) for the first three and ends with the last three of (8Ib). The (I) could be a 1 and the (b) at the end looks like an upside down 9. The the three in between are all numeric. Is it possible that the frame vin was assigned (stamped) prior to the cabriolet body installation? This did occur during later years for Sportsman Convertibles and Station Wagons. Any ideas would be appreciated.

ford38v8    -- 04-27-2010 @ 6:16 PM
  Pete, The title should match the number on the frame. Your title should be between the numbers 18-2207111 and 18-3331856. This number, with a star * before and after, should be on your frame.

The original transmission, if you still have yours, will show the same number, but the only number that counts is the one on the frame. The number that appears on some body plates represents only the body, and should not be on the title.

The stamps used by Ford at the time were of the sort you describe, the 9's and 6's the same, and with I's for 1's. Remember, they were hand stamped, sometimes on a Monday with a hangover, so some may be cockeyed, or lightly stamped!

It looks like your number is *18-2XXX816* , so if that appears on your title (without the *'s), you're good.

Alan

trjford8    -- 04-27-2010 @ 8:11 PM
  The Ford stamps had some numbers that looked a little strange. The 6 did look like a b and the 9 looked like the upside down 6. The number 1 looked more like a capital I. The ID or VIN was all numbers on your car. Hopefully they match the title.

Pete    -- 04-28-2010 @ 6:10 AM
  Thanks for the info, your replies were a big help. I also consulted the "1935-36 Ford Book" and have a better feel for the VIN and how it was determined---The substitute numbers/characters were a little confusing.

42wagon    -- 04-28-2010 @ 6:53 AM
  Pete
The serial number starting with *18- was assigned at the Rouge engine plant when the engine was assembled and was stamped on the top of the transmission case. The numbers were sequential starting with 18-1 in 1932. When the engine was installed in a frame at an assembly plant the number was transferred to the frame in three locations along the top of the left frame rail. This happened before the body was installed and has no correlation to any numbers that might appear on the body.

As for the station wagons and probably the sportsmen a body number was stamped in the firewall at the Iron Mountain wood body plant. It bears no relation to the frame number. My 42 wagon has a serial number on the top of the transmission that matches the number on the frame and the number on the title. If my title is any indication the 18- may not be part of the number on the title. It only is an indication that the engine is a V8.

Let's hope your title number matches your frame number. If not you are in for a world of problems when you go to register the car or try to sell it in the future. If the numbers don't match how do you prove that the car you are standing next to is the one described in the title?
Ted

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1155