Topic: Running Board Removal

curts41    -- 04-26-2010 @ 10:59 AM
  All,
I have a 1941 ford tudor. The running board rubber needs to be replaced. I have the new rubber. I see all the fasteners under the board, with rubber grommets around them. I tried to loosen them , the bolt turns but feels like a nut somewhere inside may be turning. What is the proper way to remove this part from the car.

Thanking you in advance for any help.

Curt

supereal    -- 04-26-2010 @ 12:22 PM
  Sorry to have bad news, but those running board bolts fit into "caged nuts" inside the rocker. Almost always, most of the cages have rusted away, and it is necessary to cut holes in the back side of the rocker to access the nuts. Even that is a chore, as they are usually badly rusted and will need to be twisted off to remove them.

trjford8    -- 04-26-2010 @ 7:01 PM
  I second Bob's answer. Most of the cages have rusted away and it allows the bolts to spin. If you use a Dremel tool on the back side of the rocker panel you can cut some small holes in line with the bolts and you can get a wrench in there to hold the nuts.

curts41    -- 04-27-2010 @ 10:29 AM
  supereal and trjford8,
thank you for the info. Now, I assume that I must enter the rocker from under the car? Or is there a way in from on top throug the floor. Can I replace these captive nuts with rivnuts? an expanding insert I have used in the past, not unlike an insert you would use to anchor something to sheet rock

Curt

42ford    -- 04-27-2010 @ 4:42 PM
  Yes you can use a hole saw and drill down at the edge of the floor directly above each bolt. You will probably find that the rockers are to rusty to use nutserts. You can try using nuts and washers. It depends on the size hole saw you use. In my opinion larger is better.

trjford8    -- 04-27-2010 @ 8:17 PM
  I would cut the holes from under the car(on the backside of the rocker. Rivnuts or Nutserts may not work if the metal is very thin from rust. I would suggest that you use bolts with fender washers and nuts to bolt the boards back on the car. Use a fender washer on the bottom of the board and one inside the rocker to spread the load on the metal of the rocker.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1151