Topic: Grand National Meet RV Accomadations

1934 Ford    -- 01-01-2018 @ 11:33 AM

We've read about the Grand National Meet in June 2018 and would like some help finding accommodations for us and our tow vehicle (RV) close to the Greenfield Village/
Two families with Early Ford V8's on trailers would like to go and spend the week there and stay for the Motor Muster in the Village the weekend after the Nat'l Meet. It appears that the only campground is 36 miles away and has horrible ratings.
Have any Forum members found a good place any closer to the activities?

1934 Ford's since 1972

3w2    -- 01-01-2018 @ 4:24 PM
  Please try again using Google search starting with "Dearborn MI RV camp grounds" and you'll find three choices rated four stars or better (out of five) and closer than 36 miles (19, 25, and 28 miles, all quickly reachable given the areas extensive interstate highways). They are: Wayne County Fair Grounds and RV Park in Belleville, Detroit Greenfield RV Park in Ypsilanti, and Camp Lord Willing RV Park in Monroe.

This message was edited by 3w2 on 1-1-18 @ 5:34 PM

1934 Ford    -- 01-02-2018 @ 7:12 AM
  Thanks,
The Wayne County Fairgrounds looks like the spot @ 19 miles out. While I don;t care for Interstates with babbit bearings, we can use HWY 12 to get to the host hotel and Meet Fields.

1934 Ford's since 1972

MG    -- 01-02-2018 @ 10:33 AM
  1934 Ford - I'd like you to expand on your statement " I don't care for Interstates with babbit bearings" as I've never heard this before. I'd love to be educated about the Babbitt bearings and their durability in these Flathead V8 of ours. Not much information out there....

1934 Ford    -- 01-05-2018 @ 8:04 AM
  My experience with 1934 Fords and their babbit bearing engines is:
They can go faster, but staying under 55 MPH prolongs the engines.
I can stay up with the 70 MPH traffic, but with mechanical brakes I 'm not sure that's safe. My ears tell me the engine is most comfortable at a sustained speed of 53 MPH. My thought is more noise, equals more wear on these engines that were not designed for Interstate Highway speeds.
I spent a lot of time with the real Bonnie & Clyde car on the 1987 Great American Race. That crew told me the car had 8,000 miles on it when Bonnie & Clyde died in it, and it was really worn out. Engine and suspension heavily worn by excessively hard use and had to be replaced for the race.. Our 34 Ford would do 85 MPH with it's fresh engine, but I sure wouldn't do that for long runs, even with new marine babbit bearings.

1934 Ford's since 1972

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11509