Topic: Starting car once in a while in winter

murphy1941    -- 12-29-2017 @ 12:04 PM
  Opinions on starting car once in a while in winter. What temperature is recommended outside to do this?

FordFreak    -- 12-29-2017 @ 12:50 PM
  If we get a "thaw' (above 40 ) in Jan. or Feb. , I sometimes start mine , letting it run long enough to get up to operating temp . Just make sure the exhaust gets warm enough to burn off the condensation inside , or else eventually your muffler(s) will rot out . - F F

Yokomo99    -- 12-30-2017 @ 5:44 AM
  Personally I don't start my vehicles during storage. Unless the engine is run enough to bring the "engine oil", not just the coolant, up to operating temperature the short engine runs will lead to condensation build up inside the engine. I would pick a nice day (No snow and dry roads) and not only start but take your vehicle for a nice drive. Both you and your car will enjoy a nice winter jaunt. If you don't want to do any winter drives I would just fog the engine with storage oil add Sta-Bil to the gas tank, put the battery on a float charger and leave it alone until spring.

Be sure to check out my YouTube pages at:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MatthewBergin1

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJCdOfmXtM8xO9nXeQ-iSQQ

This message was edited by Yokomo99 on 12-30-17 @ 5:49 AM

nelsb01    -- 12-30-2017 @ 8:33 AM
  Up here in the north country --- it currently is - 11 (that's minus 11 cold) -- we put the vehicles away and there they stay.

Air the tires, jack it up, change the oil, check the antifreeze in the radiator, pull the battery, fill the gas tank (add Yamalube Fuel Stabilizer), put a Renuzit air freshener in the interior to keep the critters away, make sure that it has been washed, and then cover.
See you in April.

supereal    -- 12-31-2017 @ 2:50 PM
  I don't run my cars after putting away for the winter unless I can drive at least 10 miles, as it takes at least that long to burn out the moisture in the exhaust system. Otherwise, the life of the pipes and muffler will be shortened by condensation.

shogun1940    -- 01-03-2018 @ 7:14 AM
  If you decide to run your car in the winter pick a very dry day and plug up the exhaust after you shut it off, the heat in the exhaust pipes cooling off will suck in any moister in the air.

Drbrown    -- 01-04-2018 @ 9:25 PM
  Starting in cold temperatures ? Depends. Consider viscosity of oil you use; avoid higher-rated straight viscosity ones for better cold temp cranking speeds and initial lubrication. As noted by others above, recommend use of battery-minder, gas additive for long non-use periods and keeping tank full to minimize condensation.

I use 10w-30 in my 1947 59AB all the time here in upper NY State. Its 2 degrees today and my flattie would turn-over fine. I use my auxiliary electric gas pump to prime the carb after extended sitting.
Even with an ignition in good shape, at 2 degrees the engine will turn over for about 10 to 20 seconds before it fires-up.

Like many say, you can idle these engines to death. Either put it to sleep for the winter in the right way or as mentioned here and as I do, living here just two hours south of Montreal Canada, wait for those days with clear dry roads and get it out there chugging up and down the highway for at least an hour. Good reason to get the family out and reduce "cabin fever".

This message was edited by Drbrown on 1-5-18 @ 8:10 AM

Bertha    -- 01-06-2018 @ 10:26 AM
  Once Winterized, the battery is disconnected & put on a Battery Tender.
Not started again 'til Spring get ready.

"it's only original once"
---

bigvince    -- 01-15-2018 @ 9:05 AM
  Take the battery out and store in a warm dry place preferably on wood (never concrete). Jack the car up so there are no flat spots on the tires in spring. Get some Downey dryer sheets and place in the car - mice hate the smell. I have found that unless you let the car warm up substantially, your oil will have moisture accumulate and will look like chocolate milk in the spring.

Drbrown    -- 01-15-2018 @ 10:14 PM
  Took my '47 out for about an hour yesterday .... kept on a battery minder. Roads were dry hard pack snow or bare pavement. Had been 0 degrees the night before. At 10 degrees, pulled choke out 2/3, let the electric pump run for about 10 seconds ... started right up. Let the tranny warm up and down the road we went. It loved the chilly air; ran strong. The heater works well too.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 1-15-18 @ 10:16 PM

GK1918    -- 01-16-2018 @ 4:54 AM
  Every day and use it, cause I can't take it with me when I kick the bucket.
Even at 0 degrees, bump the button and its running 6 volts too. All
through out my schooling we got to school on 6vts vac wipers never
got stuck tire chains. No such thing as road salt or big wing plows and
whats a 4 wheel drive? Never saw one back then. I'm talking about a
46 4dr my 23 Ford whole different story sometimes I gotta jack the
thing up so it will turn over; too old to use the crank lol

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11506