Topic: Worry Free Fan Hub

dandy32    -- 12-24-2017 @ 5:26 AM
  Is anyone using A worry free fan hub. Any problems? and where can I get one everyone seems to be out of them but Ebay and due to scamers I dont use Ebay any longer.Iwant to use one on A 8ba Thanks and Merry Christmas

FordFreak    -- 12-26-2017 @ 6:51 AM
  Where did you see them on Ebay ? I did a search , but couldn't find them . I'm interested in getting one for my F1 . - F F

supereal    -- 12-26-2017 @ 12:34 PM
  After two hubs failed, we decided to make an improved one. Now it has ball bearings, and has performed perfectly for many years.

dandy32    -- 12-26-2017 @ 4:53 PM
  I saw them on Ebay but mac's had them but they are out I called and they said they might get more this coming year but not sure when. Bob drakes same thing

kubes40    -- 12-27-2017 @ 6:23 AM
  I had recently installed one on a client's car. I bought it from Mike Drsikell. It certainly appeared to be a well made unit. Time of course will tell how well it holds up.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

supereal    -- 12-27-2017 @ 9:24 AM
  We haven't made any for quite awhile. I put one in my '47, and sold the others. They are made in our machine shop. If there is much interest, we may make a few more if we can justify the demand. If interested, leave a message in my inbox.

supereal    -- 12-27-2017 @ 11:12 AM
  Here are the details:

dandy32    -- 12-29-2017 @ 2:25 AM
  I want one but for $350 I will keep looking for A stock one

trjford8    -- 12-29-2017 @ 7:36 AM
  From my perspective $350 is cheap compared to the cost of a radiator if the original fan hub fails and the fan takes out the radiator. Fan hub $350 or recored or new radiator $800+. Looks like good insurance to me.

supereal    -- 12-31-2017 @ 2:57 PM
  Thanks, Tom. Given the cost of materials and high speed bearings, we don't get rich making these hubs. As Tom points out, the price is considerably less than a new radiator, which is now at or above $1,000 for a good one.

trjford8    -- 01-01-2018 @ 4:46 PM
  Bob, being the grandson of an old machinist I know how much time it takes to make something like that. I was always in awe of what my grandfather could do with that big old lathe. He spent 6 days a week behind that lathe and never got rich doing it.

supereal    -- 01-02-2018 @ 1:54 PM
  I understand that, Tom. I recently received a small pocket type book once owned by a machinist beginning in 1934. It is a treasure chest of drawings, calculations, and other notations. It is a virtual diary of a man who spent his life in the trade. It came in a box full of tools and artifacts sent by a friend. My eldest son does the machine work now. He invented the ball bearing fan hub for my car, and since the tooling was set up, he made a few extras which sold immediately. At the age of 63, he is a genius machinist, and often makes or repairs medical equipment for the University of Iowa's huge hospital. He served an apprenticeship to learn the trade almost 50 years ago, a practice which has since virtually disappeared, along with the machine shops which once kept much of the USA running.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11501