Topic: Rear Hub Seal Removal

LarryK    -- 12-16-2017 @ 1:27 PM
  Is there a recommended method for removing the rear hub grease seals? I have been trying a seal removal tool (picture attached) without success except to butcher up the seal. Car is a stock 1939 Deluxe Tudor.
Thanks

Larry

pauls39coupe    -- 12-16-2017 @ 3:49 PM
  I assume you have removed the snap ring retaining the seal. If so use a large "pole barn" nail. They are about 10" long and are hardened.
Insert the nail in the hub with the head behind the seal and the pointed end through the outer end of the hub. Tap the pointed end with a hammer working around the edge of the seal. It should pop loose.

supereal    -- 12-17-2017 @ 1:42 PM
  It isn't wise to reuse an old seal. The tool you show usually destroys the old seal, anyway, and good new seals cost only about $5. Once you have the snap ring removed, be sure to note which ring groove is used if your hub has two rings. To remove the old seal, we use a large screwdriver. Place the end under the seal and pry the seal around the rim, using the edge of the hub as a lever. To install a new seal we use a PVC pipe coupling that just fits the hub. Place the new seal on the hub and gently tap it until it is part way into place, then placing a block of wood over the plastic coupling, drive the seal in until the snap ring groove can be accessed, and reinstall the ring. The best seals have a red coating on the edge. The uncoated seals usually collapse before in place.

LarryK    -- 12-19-2017 @ 12:14 PM
  Thanks pauls39coupe and supereal. I wasn’t planning on reusing the seals. I have replacements. With the red coating. The sad part is that I did this job two or three years ago, but I can’t remember what combination of bars, chains, hammers, tongs, and vocabulary I used to remove them. It just seems there should be a more elegant way.

It turns out that on page 69 of the KRW Wilson catalog for 1940, two tools are offered just for this purpose, one for cars and another for trucks. The description below the illustrations of the tools contains these ominous statements: “Ask your boys how they do this job now. Then your will buy a pair.”

The price is reasonable, $2.50 for the car and $3.60 for the truck. I WILL buy a pair.

Larry

40 Coupe    -- 12-19-2017 @ 3:37 PM
  I use KRW BV81 very nice tool.

TomO    -- 12-20-2017 @ 7:12 AM
  Even at the inflation adjusted price of $43.71, it would be a bargain, if you could find one.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11490