Topic: gas tank

grady    -- 04-25-2010 @ 8:45 AM
  Hello
I replaced the gas tank in my 50 Ford 2 door sedan with a replacement from Bob Drake. I could not use my original tank sending unit as it would not fit the tank opening, so I had to use the replacement. It read fine when out of the car but installed it went to past full even with 1/2 tank. I tried another replacement from a different jobber and manufacturer same result, past full.These replacement units look like they work on restors. The box is marked 6 volt . Any help would be great. Thanks

supereal    -- 04-25-2010 @ 9:03 AM
  There can be a couple of reasons. The wire to the dash gauge may be grounded, either at the tank, or from moving the tank. If that wire is grounded, the gauge will go to "full" and stay there. The other is that the float arm wasn't bent to accommodate your new tank. Almost always, the float arm must be bent to register the correct amount of fuel in the tank. I am assuming that when you say it "read fine" before installation that you moved the float to see if the gauge read accordingly, then put it in the tank. We have used Drake's senders with no problems. Be sure you have a solkid ground to one of the screws attaching the sender to the tank. The tank mounts often are not reliable.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 04-25-2010 @ 9:19 AM
  Did you measure the depth of the tank verus the swing of the float sending unit,
it has to be bent so they are close,there should be stops on the sending unit so it does not go to high and the other so it stops on the bottom, just before it hits bottom,
I am sure once you do this, it will work, also like superreal said, check the ground,s also you can run ane wire from the gauge to the sending unit, do this out side of the car just incase the sending wire is grounding enroute,
KEEP ON TRUCKING
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN

grady    -- 04-25-2010 @ 3:24 PM
  THANKS

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1148