Topic: 1938 Ford convertible top parts

randynbarb    -- 12-13-2017 @ 10:15 AM
  I have a '38 convertible coupe project that is missing the convertible top parts. Does anyone out there have any? Would appreciate any help. Thank you

Grant    -- 12-14-2017 @ 5:22 AM
  John Hogg is working on a 1938 convertible coupe project. Nice car.

You can find his contact information in the EFV8 Club roster under Ontario, Canada.

Don't know if John has any extra top frame pieces, but if not he may know of a source.

Send me a PM if you have difficulty catching up with him.

roadster36    -- 12-14-2017 @ 7:58 AM
  What parts are you missing ?
I have some of the cast parts left over from previous projects.
Wescott's also is reproducing some of the parts.

randynbarb    -- 12-16-2017 @ 9:48 AM
  Thanks so much for your response, I will attach a photo of the piece we need (circled), apparently can't do it with a PM. I'm new to this forum format but hopefully it will come through. ...barb

randynbarb    -- 12-16-2017 @ 9:49 AM
  Hi John and thank you for your response. I've attached a photo of the part we need (circled), any and all help will be most appreciated. ...barb

johnh6813    -- 12-19-2017 @ 4:46 PM
  I don't like to rain on your parade ,but the picture shown is not 38 .the front piece shown has a pin to allow the side arm to swing in ,and the 38 convt did not.The 38's also did not have sun visors .John.

supereal    -- 12-20-2017 @ 2:21 PM
  Having restored convertibles, I can say that finding almost any parts is a real challenge, as many, if not most bodies were not actually made by Ford, but by outside contractors. Many of today's open cars are still made that way. As a limited production type, it was more economical to do it that way. 1938 was a transition year for Ford, further complicating the hunt. We ended up making many parts for our '47, which took almost ten years to complete.

randynbarb    -- 12-20-2017 @ 3:21 PM
  all good points, John. Thank you. A friend was at a dealership that had a car that he thought was 'similar' to ours and that had the kind of top similar to what we have and took these photo's thinking it might help us find what we needed. Your insight is most welcome.

trjford8    -- 12-21-2017 @ 9:00 AM
  As previously mentioned check with Wescott's Auto Restyling in Boring, Oregon. They are casting a lot of convertible top pieces. The '38 and '39 tops were the same if I recall and I'll bet Wescott's will have the pieces you need. They did top mechanisms for the '39 convertible they built out of fiberglass.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11477