Topic: 8BA whoaaass :(

martinjbraun    -- 12-09-2017 @ 3:55 PM
  Gentlemen, I would call myself competent when it comes to working on my shoebox 49 coupe. For the life of me I can't get the motor to run to my satisfaction. Facts: rebuilt short block by Wetsel Automotive, new rebuilt Ford distributor w/Petronix, rebuilt 94 carb, new fuel pump. Have adjusted plugs, changed distributor caps, rotor, checked s.p. wires but it still surges/misses slightly in higher RPM. It runs sorta rough when cold, idles great at temperature. Transitioned from single to dual exhaust and that didn't matter. Timing about 2 degrees, advance working, not sure of total advance though. What next???? fyi, was using points didn't make any difference, 6 volt system. does it while driving, not revving.

This message was edited by martinjbraun on 12-9-17 @ 10:02 PM

40cpe    -- 12-09-2017 @ 4:40 PM
  You didn't say if the surging/missing is while sitting still, or while driving the car. My engine runs terrible just revving beyond about 2500 rpm but runs great to 4500 rpm on the street.

MG    -- 12-09-2017 @ 5:14 PM
  Lose the 'Petronix' and go back to the original dizzy....

40cpe    -- 12-09-2017 @ 5:54 PM
  Pertronix has made every car I have put it in start and run better. Use the recommended coil.

Dobie    -- 12-09-2017 @ 8:16 PM
  Is it 6 volt or 12 volt? Pentronix doesn't like a 6 volt generator. good advice go back to points.

TomO    -- 12-10-2017 @ 5:27 PM
  Try dribbling Marvel Mystery oil down the carburetor. The 8BA solid valve guides usually need a little upper cylinder lube to keep them from sticking. If the engine increases speed, then start adding the recommended amount of MMO to your gas tank every other fill up.

If that doesn't fix it, check your spark plugs for condition. If the plugs show a rich condition, send the carb to Charlie in NY. If the plugs are not carboned up, try another brand.

I don't like the Pertronix ignition system, but it did not make any difference in performance, so I see no immediate need to remove it. The transient voltage spikes will eventually cause the electronic system to fail and leave you stranded.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11466