Topic: flathead losing power

lzeiglerct    -- 12-07-2017 @ 5:00 PM
  I have a 34 ford and in which I recently put flow restrictors in the water pumps to solve a problem of pushing excess water to the radiator that then blew out the radiator cap. I road tested it and they worked great. Pushing it on the road test after about 8 miles it back fired a few times and lost power. Pulling the choke full, on and off, seemed to help it as it bumped along for a 1/2 mile, then it recovered and I drove home. Wasn't sure if this may have been vapor lock, sticky valve or coil??? In that I recovered as it did, it didn't seem to be coil or vapor lick but I'm not sure...........any thoughts?

TomO    -- 12-08-2017 @ 8:10 AM
  Sounds like some sort of debris in the fuel supply line or pickup. You can check the sediment bowl of the fuel pump and the carburetor bowl for debris, but it is more likely in the tank.

Tom

nelsb01    -- 12-08-2017 @ 8:59 PM
  Got an air compressor?
If so, disconnect the fuel line from the carb and blow some air back into the tank.
Wait a while for the tank to settle, then reconnect and go for a drive ---if it performs better, then you know it could be debris in the tank.
My sediment bowl on my Ford needs to be cleaned after every tour. Just fine stuff, but still debris.

cliftford    -- 12-09-2017 @ 6:59 AM
  It could also be the flex line on the inlet side of the fuel pump id sucking air.

supereal    -- 12-10-2017 @ 1:54 PM
  When installing an electric pump, such as the Airtex, use hose barbs on the ends of the cut in the line from the tank, and use worm gear clamps instead of the spring hose clamps supplied with the pump. If either of the hoses on the ends of the pump develop an air leak, the mechanical fuel pump will lose prime, producing the symptoms similar to the dreaded "vapor lock". The electric pumps push fuel better than pulling it, so they should be close to the tank. The small filters supplied with the pump are no longer included. Instead, we use a large inline filter between the tank and the pump.

shogun1940    -- 12-12-2017 @ 5:34 PM
  When you blew out the radiator cap is it possible that water got under the distributor cap?????

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11462