Topic: 46-47-48 Differences..

jaxV8carz    -- 04-24-2010 @ 4:15 PM
  In current issue (April 22nd) Old Car Weekly on page 19, "Weathered Wheels." A photo show a '46-to-early-'47 Ford coupe with a transplanted '47-1/2 to '48 hood.
Someone please explain the "fine points" of the differences mentioned here? Thanx! Jack

ford38v8    -- 04-24-2010 @ 5:57 PM
  Jack, I'm not sure what you are asking, if you already know that the hood is not correct fort the earlier models. I do know that there are many differences between the three models, and that there have been volumes written on those differences.

Alan

47Fordor    -- 04-24-2010 @ 7:54 PM
  The actual hood is the same. The difference is in the chrome. 46 had a different hood ornament, with a "8" or a "6" on it to designate the engine. In April '47 the hood ornament was changed and an aditional ornament was added below it, on the nose, to designate the model (ie: "Super Deluxe 8"). The chrome strips on the side of the hood are different as well.

If you have a 47-48 with a 46 hood, all you need is the newer hood ornament and chrome. The additional ornament on the nose will take a couple new holes drilled but, with some careful homework and measurement, I doubt that any concorse judge could tell the difference.

As for the later '47 and '48's, if you can tell the difference between them from the outside, you are better than me. My dad has a 48 Super Deluxe 8 and I have a 47 (after the changes were made). I still can't see the difference between them! I read that the keyhole covers, on the doors, may be different but I haven't gotten around to checking yet.

Chris

supereal    -- 04-25-2010 @ 9:12 AM
  The Club's '41-'48 book covers all the differences, plus more. If you have a car in those years, that book is essential.

Rusty    -- 04-25-2010 @ 2:29 PM
  The holes for the hood ornament on a later 47-48 hood are located differently than a 46 hood. If you put a 46 ornament on a later 47-48 hood, the last hole toward the cowl is uncovered. So, if you took a 46 hood to adapt to a later 47-48, you would have to drill a hole, fill a hole on top as well as drill the holes for the medallion on the front of the hood.

The early 47's only had the medallion on the front of the hood.

bigvince    -- 05-03-2010 @ 9:41 PM
  I've been told that the hood ornament designating the "Deluxe or Super Deluxe" can be absent. I've got a 48 Woodie that is missing the Super Deluxe ornamentation and there are no holes that were filled in the hood.

Having worked in the auto industry for 30 years, trim items are usually the first to go in hopes of reducing costs.

The car was produced in early October of 1947 and I have been told that the ornament was later put back on. Go figure...

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1146