Topic: '37 Distributor Inner Caps

ibshane    -- 12-06-2017 @ 10:05 PM
  So I got a newly rebuilt Distributor for my '37
I also picked up some Cap Boots, Outer Caps & Inner Caps.

Here's my problem:
The inner distributor caps will not set down in the groove on the distributor. Neither cap will fit on either side?
And yes...., I know there is an indexing slot in the Dist.
The indexing bump on the caps fit the slot on the Dist. .., but it appears that the diameter of the caps is too large..., to the point that I doubt you could even knock them in flush with a hammer without busting them all to sh*t!

Got them from Dennis Carpenter.

Is that why they were on sale??

Bad cap?
Wrong caps?

The part number #68-12116 checks out every where I look!

I'm drawing a blank here!

ken ct.    -- 12-06-2017 @ 10:49 PM
  Thisis a normal ocurance to dist rebuilding shops. The outside edge can be ground downvery carefully on a grinding wheel stone. Ive done it numerause times till they drop in. There is also a gasket inbetween the inner andouter cap, . Dist work is usually NOT for newbies. Happy grinding. Go once around lightly if not enough go around again. Do till they drop in. ken ct

ken ct.    -- 12-06-2017 @ 11:07 PM
  PS. Also check another problem with newly made caps , check continuity between outer wire contact and inner blade. Some have dead contacts another problem with them. Forget the sandpaper deal would take you all day that way and would not be a round cap after. File off any slight burr on inner and outer edges from grinding. Use a fine stone not a rough one on the grinder. ken ct.

ibshane    -- 12-07-2017 @ 1:04 AM
  Ok..., Thanks!
I'll Check the continuity BEFORE grinding to fit!!

This message was edited by ibshane on 12-7-17 @ 2:50 AM

TomO    -- 12-07-2017 @ 7:22 AM
  If you try to fit the caps by installing them backwards, it is easier to remove them for more grinding. The inner contacts are easier to grab then the wire side receptacles.

I like to install the wires in the conduit so that there is enough wire showing to reach the plugs in a neat manner and then cut the distributor end to fit the cap. Then I solder the brass cap on the distributor end and assemble the caps.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11459