Topic: 34 crank pulley cracked at hub

BobWatts    -- 12-01-2017 @ 10:46 AM
  After working slowly but surely over the last year I repaired a head stud and had the heads, distributor and carb redone and upon reassembly was not amused to see I hadn't noticed the crank pulley wiggling.
Upon closer examination it looks like it's cracked at the hub. I was able to get the nut off pretty easily but of course the pulley is tight.
Will I be able to remove it by prying around the pulley, is that safe ?
Are replacement pulleys available? I'm not finding them online.
Thanks in advance for any and all wisdom!

carcrazy    -- 12-01-2017 @ 12:33 PM
  You may be able to wrap a steel cable around the remains of the pulley, attach the cable to a slide hammer, and break the pulley free from the crankshaft.

BobWatts    -- 12-03-2017 @ 12:31 PM
  Thanks for the reply carcrazy .
I'm thinking you're suggesting I pull it through the hand crank hole?
It's the weirdest thing but whoever restored the car put a panel in place that has blocked all access and there's no way to use a crank a fact I just discovered.
If I can't remove it what about welding the crack in place?
I have a friend who is a top notch welder and there's no gas anywhere as the car hasn't run in 20 years the tank is dry and the carbs dry too.

Inherited my Dad's 29-Pick up,30-Coupe,34-Cabriolet,36-5 window and 40 Hot Rod.

carcrazy    -- 12-03-2017 @ 12:53 PM
  I would be afraid of welding the crank pulley while it is on the engine for fear of upsetting the balance of the crank/pulley rotating assembly. Do you have enough access to the pulley with the engine in the car to get a long cold chisel to the area near the hub? If you can split the pulley open near the hub, you will be able to get the pulley off the shaft.

JM    -- 12-05-2017 @ 5:08 PM
  It looks like you will need to raise the front of your engine to allow the pulley to clear the top of those U bolts. You may also want to consider keeping the front tires/wheels on the ground, so the front spring stays in the cross member, and completely remove the U bolts and crank handle bearing to allow the pulley to come off w/o the need to raise the engine so high.
Most of the pulleys like that one, that I have removed over the years, came off pretty easily by slightly prying on the back of the pulley with two flat blade screw drivers, 180° apart, especially if there is no visible rust on the front nose of the crankshaft and inner sleeve of the pulley. You should plan on finding another pulley. That particular pulley was used from 32 to 38 I believe, so you shouldn't have too much difficulty finding one. Put a wanted ad here and/or on Fordbarn.com and I'm sure one will turn up. Other possibilities are contacting Mac Vanpelt and Third Generation Automotive, Michael Driskell. Good luck.

John

This message was edited by JM on 12-5-17 @ 5:30 PM

BobWatts    -- 12-18-2017 @ 10:14 AM
  Thanks for all the info it was a challenge but I did remove the pulley after first spraying it for several days with Aero- Kroil.
I tried the screwdrivers on both sides technique but couldn't get it to budge.
So using one of the Jumbo open ends I bought at Harbor Freight ($54 set) to remove the 1 3/8" crank nut I was able to pry it off.
The 1 3/8 jumbo was too big to access the crank nut and I couldn't get a socket on it so I got a set of much smaller Harbor Freight service wrenches and with a sharp whack off it came.
I did end up removing the U shackles and then had to jack the engine up about 1" to finally slip the pulley out of course after re moving the castle nuts on the 2 front engine mounts.
I had no idea how rare these pulleys are somebody should really start re-manufacturing them.
So far I haven't found one and am considering sending it off to a machine shop for straightening , welding and balancing.
I thought I was pretty easy on it but it got pretty bent in the removal process. I've seen a couple on Ebay but they have a key way mine doesn't have .
Would anyone know if mines original or if it's been modded?

MG    -- 12-18-2017 @ 1:48 PM
  Red's Vintage Parts has them in stock > http://reds-vintage-parts.com/index.php?option=com_mijoshop&route=product/product&manufacturer_id=7&product_id=851&page=2&limit=75

Part Number is > Crankshaft Pulley 18 6312 A

This message was edited by MG on 12-18-17 @ 1:53 PM

BobWatts    -- 12-19-2017 @ 11:12 AM
  MG, thanks so much !
I've got one coming from Red's.
I talked to a guy who's familiar with the pulley I have and I now believe it wasn't defective at all that the design is sort of a press fit that has slop in it. The fun never ends!

Inherited my Dad's 29-Pick up,30-Coupe,34-Cabriolet,36-5 window and 40 Hot Rod.

MG    -- 12-19-2017 @ 11:26 AM
  I'm pleased that I was able to help you....

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11444