Topic: Ford Dealership

41-42fordadvisor    -- 11-28-2017 @ 6:50 AM
  My 1942 Ford coupe had service done at G.E.McKay Ford-Lincoln-Mercury Ponoma and Claremont in 1950 when the car had 10,000 miles. Does anyone know where this dealership was located? City, town and even a street address. Did G.E.McKay have two dealerships one in Ponoma and one in Claremont? Any one with any information I would be very great full. Fred Killian

trjford8    -- 11-29-2017 @ 8:14 AM
  Fred I left a reply for you on Fordbarn, but I'll also post it here. The dealership was in the east Los Angeles area. Pomona and Claremont are close together, but in those days they may have had two dealerships. Try a Google search. Tom

Drbrown    -- 11-29-2017 @ 11:22 PM
  Get your phone and put on your shoes. Here are five sources to investigate: (1) The state or city public library(s) that serve the region(s) where the dealership was likely has a historical collection of newspapers, either in original, microfilm or digital form, from the 1940's-1960's which might contain advertisements published by the dealership noting their address etc. (2) the same libraries or the local historical societies may have copies of the 1940's - 1960's "City Directories" published periodically which normally contain advertisements and/or addresses for local businesses. (3) Businesses' usually - historically and these days - have to register with the local city or county government Clerk Office's to do business there .... give the City or county Clerk's Office a call and ask about their records. (4) The State, County or City government normally has a "Historical Office" or "Historian" which likely would have info/resources. (5) Genealogical organizations such as Ancestry.com or others may have copies of the newspaper's or City Directories on-line .... available perhaps at the cost of a membership.

The info is somewhere .... just have to find it. Good luck !

41-42fordadvisor    -- 11-30-2017 @ 7:05 AM
  Thank you Tom and Drbrown I do know that Ponoma and Claremont are near Los Angeles. I was hoping someone from the Los Angeles area would remember this dealership or if they had two dealerships. I did try google and had no luck. Fred

Drbrown    -- 12-02-2017 @ 8:37 AM
  42fordadvisior: magic of internet .... George E. McKay Jr. (actually the III) was born 1921 grew up in San Jose CA and died 2005. His father died 1977. Both lived & buried in Clermont. Abt 1937 his father G. E. McKay had the Ford and Lincoln Zeffer business located at 305 East 3rd Street; then moved it abt 1939 to 330 East 3rd; then beginning abt 1940 to 290 South Gibbs St at corner of 3rd until end of my findings in 1956. Don't know when the business folded.

His businesses are listed as being in "Pomona" (rather than "Ponoma"). "Claremont"shows up because the family lived there and they advertised in many Pomona and Claremont HS and College yearbooks. These neighborhood names did change from time to time. Variously phone numbers are listed as being in Lycoming and San Dimus etc but all seemingly in the LA area.

Many "McKay's" in CA and LA area, many may be related.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 12-2-17 @ 10:26 AM

41-42fordadvisor    -- 12-02-2017 @ 7:25 PM
  Drbrown I would like to thank you very much for the information on the location of the G.E. McKay Ford dealership. This was the exact information that I was looking for. This is much appreciated and again thank you. Fred

Drbrown    -- 12-02-2017 @ 7:51 PM
  42fordadvisior: Might be able to have a little more fun with your project. When George advertised in the many regional HS and college year books he typically included black and white photos of some customers' cars and his service areas. What might be the chance he used one with your car in it ? If you sent me a few photos of your car and a little more data on year/timing, I could review his ads to see if there's a chance yours is in there. Wouldn't that be cool !

41-42fordadvisor    -- 12-03-2017 @ 10:12 AM
  Drbrown, Thank you for your generous offer. Their are pictures of my car in the September/October 2017 issue of the V-8 Times on pages 73-75. The car was serviced at G.E. McKay on October 25, 5? their was not enough room on the sticker for the last digit. So I just assumed it must have been 1950 and their is no way now to ever know. Thank you again. Fred

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11432