Topic: 1939 Ford Steering Wheel Removal

Frosty    -- 11-27-2017 @ 3:25 PM
  Can anyone tell me how to remove the steering wheel from the column after removing the nut? The whole assembly is out of the car.

BUCKAWHO    -- 11-28-2017 @ 2:46 AM
  Sounds like you need a wheel puller. It bolts to the wheel, and has a large screw that pushes down on the column and forces it out of the wheel. Find it at an auto parts store. BT

ken ct.    -- 11-28-2017 @ 4:39 AM
  Not sure if the older wheels have he 2 threaded holes that the puller is mounted to. KR Wilson did make a special puller for these older fords but finding one is almost impossible. Some times they will just pull off by hand. Mine did on my 36,i was lucky. ken ct.

This message was edited by ken ct. on 11-28-17 @ 4:41 AM

supereal    -- 11-28-2017 @ 9:08 AM
  Resist the temptation to hammer on the nut, as it will almost always damage the fine threads. If your wheel doesn't have the two threaded holes to accommodate the bar type puller, look for the type that has to fingers that fit under the wheel. Old steering wheels consist of a steel core wrapped in hard rubber, then painted. This makes it rather fragile, so work carefully.

Frosty    -- 11-28-2017 @ 12:24 PM
  My wheel doesn't have any bolt holes unfortunately so I guess I'll have to make something to fit under the hub to pull on to avoid damaging the finish. I guess I just wanted to make sure a puller was required and not some other easier method.

cliftford    -- 11-28-2017 @ 6:31 PM
  Years ago I had this problem[not on a ford] and I drilled and tapped two 5/16 holes in the steel hub 180 degrees apart and used a regular steering wheel puller to remove it.

40cpe    -- 11-28-2017 @ 6:55 PM
  If there is room to get under the steering wheel, you can use a bearing splitter available for cheap at Harbor Freight. Put padding between the splitter and the steering wheel.

MG    -- 11-29-2017 @ 11:00 AM
  I was able to remove the Banjo steering wheel from my '37 by gently rocking it. While sitting in the car, grip the steering wheel at the 3 o'clock and the 9 o'clock positions and push-pull up and down - that is, push at 3 and pull at 9 and vise-versa. Given that your column is out of the car you will have to secure it somehow - probably in a vise. I did this while listening to Bill Haley and His Comets playing 'Rock Around The Clock'... :o)

This message was edited by MG on 11-29-17 @ 4:17 PM

wmsteed    -- 11-29-2017 @ 11:03 AM
  I would suggest that you use the procedure listed in Clifford's contribution: ie; drilling and threading two holes in the wheel hub to remove the wheel. You did not mention if your steering wheel is a banjo wheel, if it is they are very easy to damage if you try beating/pulling on the wheel and/or wheel body.
Use a regular steering wheel puller with fingers once you have drilled/tapped the holes. Use the same procedure used on pulling a drum.. Tighten the puller so that it is quite snug on the shaft, then give it a good rap with a light hammer.. The steering wheel will generally jump right off.
A shot of "Blaster" might help prior to installing the wheel puller..

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

kubes40    -- 11-29-2017 @ 12:00 PM
  Bill has in my opinion offered the most sound advice. I would add one thing... do NOT place the end of the puller directly upon the threaded post. Instead, have the nut loose and at the very top so the pressure is transferred directly through the threads.
Placing the puller (shaft end) directly upon the shaft end will result in mushrooming of that shaft.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 11-29-17 @ 6:17 PM

Darrell    -- 11-29-2017 @ 1:50 PM
  Use aluminum dowel or block hit on flushed but while someone is holding column vertical

Frosty    -- 11-30-2017 @ 12:19 PM

Thank you gentlemen. some good ideas here. The wheel has 3 spokes. How much meat is there on the steel center of the hub? How many threads can I get?

Al

Frosty    -- 12-02-2017 @ 2:06 PM

I drilled 2 - 5/16" holes, threaded in the bolts & puller and popped the steering wheel off. So, thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Al

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11430