Topic: Rear end and transmission lube

oldford2    -- 04-23-2010 @ 5:33 PM
  I can not believe it. 350 views and 15 replies on this post. When is it going to end? Can't you folks get a basic manual that gives this info. Now you are really confused with all these opinions. John

supereal    -- 04-24-2010 @ 11:18 AM
  John: Much of the confusion arises because original and reprint manuals usually specify lubricants that are obsolete and no longer available. There has been an explosion of choices, particularly since synthetics made their appearance. There is a widespread belief that they are superior just because they are new, and many want the best for their vehicle. There are acceptable substitutes for the old formulas that are more appropriate, and the multiple suggestions are an attempt to provide that information.

Stroker    -- 04-24-2010 @ 3:41 PM
  John:

I think Super pretty much said it all. I believe there are optional solutions to the issue, but I also believe that emulating the original characteristic's of the original product can resolve seal
leakage issues, and clearance issues. What we all are looking for are lubes that won't leak, will take up the originally machined "space" that was designed in these old parts, and above all are readily available. That's a tough nut to crack in some instances. Synthetic's have the virtue of being more high-contact-pressure tolerant, but tend to creep past seals that were designed for dinosaur-based products. I'm not sure that any product meets all of these conflicting standards.
I'm kind of like you, and that is: "bewildered".

Perhaps this could be a wonderful opportunity for some enterprising type to develop modern lubes
that meet ancient standards. I even have a name: "Early Ford V8 Lubricant Solutions" (EFV8LS)
I'm too old to run with this idea, but perhaps one of our newer "young-turk" members will.

supereal    -- 04-25-2010 @ 9:14 AM
  Always remember the old saying about Fords: "If it ain't leakin', it needs fixin'".

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1143