Topic: 48 heater water connection

billcarry    -- 11-27-2017 @ 1:00 PM
  My second inquiry regarding the hose connections for the heater in my 48. Regarding the valve that screws into the right had cylinder head; The valve I have leaks. It is brass and the output part exits from the stem at an angle upwards. the only replacements I have found in various catalogs are plated and the outlet exits at 90 degrees. Checking as many photos from the Hemmings website as I can find shows a variety of connectrions, but the majority appear to be like what I have. ie. mounted on the right rear boss on the cylinder head with the angled up outlet. Can anyone advise me on what is correct and where I might get a new angled outlet valve?

supereal    -- 11-28-2017 @ 9:15 AM
  C&G (800/266-0470 sells the valve as part # 91A-12142 V8. It is the correct valve with the straight nozzle, about $20. You can see it in their online catalog,
www.cgfordparts.com I have a straight original valve in my '47. Heater were most often sold and installed by the dealer, so installations can vary.

billcarry    -- 11-28-2017 @ 11:59 AM
  If the straight valve is correct, how is the outlet oriented? I have one of the valves you mentioned, but it seems strange relative to the hose going to the firewall. With the angled outlet it can be oriented towards the firewall and the hose connection is straight.

TomO    -- 11-29-2017 @ 9:29 AM
  I suggest that you contact the 46-48 Adviser. I know that in 47 there were 2 heaters available. The box type and the fresh air. I am not sure if they carried over the box heater into 48, but the hose holes in the firewall were in different positions on the 2 heaters.

I believe that the angled outlet is correct for the 48 Ford and the 90 degree one is for the earlier cars.

Tom

Drbrown    -- 11-29-2017 @ 11:35 PM
  I assume it leaks at the stem rather than the threads of the fitting itself.
Given you have a good quality solid brass fitting, does the stem on the twist handle have a washer on it's end or an "O" ring on its stem such as used in faucets ? If so, can you go to your hardware/plumbing store and match-up a new washer or "O" ring for it ? My '47 has the 90 degree angle shut off, its not brass, and I've never had it apart.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 11-29-17 @ 11:36 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11428